Thursday, December 06, 2012

Pokes and Jabs


December... December conjures up memories of family gatherings, laughter, music and excitement...

 As the snow piles up outside and darkness arrives long before supper, we are safe and warm inside our home full of loud noises and small children... The cat spends more time in than out, and the smell of fresh baked goods fills the kitchen. Although there isn't a lot of money to spend on presents, the children each find a gift bearing their name under our Charlie Brown tree (which once or twice was plucked from our own back yard). We fill their stockings late at night with items dug from boxes hidden in the attic or buried in the back of a dresser drawer. They might not get fancy new clothes, or even socks and underwear, but there will be trip to Grandma and Grandpa's house, dinner round the table, and a Muppet Christmas Carol when the excitement dies down and we are settled on the couch for the evening...

Those are the days I long for but even one wayward child in the midst of many can wreak untold sorrow on a momma who loves them all the same and gave so many years of her life to raise them up and teach them how to be decent, law abiding, loving, and hopefully, Godly individuals. Even one child who pokes and jabs at parents and siblings can drain the joy and excitement right out of what should be a exciting and expectant season. Like the Grinch, who couldn't stand for anyone else to happy and joyful while he wallowed in his own misery, an errant yet much loved child, really hurts himself more than anyone else. A momma's heart can't help but grieve and long, at least a little bit, for those happier times and hope for their return in the future.

I miss my dad and his calming presence, his words of wisdom, and his unconditional love. I miss my mom in law too, who always has a word of encouragement and can make any holiday special. I am forever grateful for her presence with us last year when everything just seemed to be falling apart around us. We brought her here for a different heartbreak never knowing how much her being here would mean to us as well.I wish she could be here every Christmas.

I know I need to spend more time on my knees praying for each and every one of my children, their significant others, and my grandchildren, and I need to take a cue from those two individuals who are an example to me. Love and encouragement go a long way in times of despair.

PS. Rocky had some fun stringing Froot Loops yesterday. :)

10 comments:

  1. You see, Martha...that it why I love your blog...you!!!
    You put thoughts...everyones thoughts...into beautiful flowing words...
    Thanks...
    We all have souls that we wish could be with us again...but the souls who gather around us, help fill up the void...
    I miss my Mother and Brother soooo much...
    My Father passed when I was 21,so I was really still a child...He never knew "my" wee family, and that can be difficult for me sometimes...
    That is why I try to be upbeat....love my family...and love my life..most days!!!

    You are a lovely person, Martha..
    Truly inspiring...

    Thanks...
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, yesterday my heart was sad, but things are really so much better than they were 10 or even 6 months ago. God is good and I must remember He is in control. Sometimes it's easy to forget.

      Delete
  2. my friend martha - I love your blogs! I love how you express my heart when you are expressing yours. I too need to spend more time on my knees for my girls....I have learned things since we last spoke and my heart breaks over the rebellion and the lifestyle...yet through it all I can see that He is faithfully reaching out to the stubborn heart. Praise an email was answered after 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, my friend. Nothing would make me happier than to see your prayers answered.

      Delete
  3. Oh Martha, I add my admiration for you and your blog too. You say things I'm not at libery to say, but feel deeply in my heart. Along with the sad and bad, I'm so grateful that my brother has made his spiritual trip back, and trusting the Lord through his cancer trip and the next 6 months of Chemo. Sure makes me think of Romams... All things...working together ....for those that love the Lord..

    Hugs Martha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes saying things is hard too, Wanda, but none of us lead perfect lives. We aren't perfect and neither are our loved ones, but together we can love and encourage each other. Yes, all things work together for good to those that love Him. :)

      Delete
  4. oh Martha - my heart aches when I consider how your Mama-heart must ache. With a family so much younger than yours, but seeing ourselves, maybe, in your words makes it so personal.
    His timing is so different than ours, but I do play that in OUR time you see the restoration you long for and that Jesus must long for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My longing is to have my boy's heart focus on Christ. Only He can make that difference so greatly needed.

      Delete
  5. I think that a lot...that I need to pray for my kids more. There is no such thing as too much prayer. :) And we can pray for each others kids, right? I'm praying for your one with the Grinch's heart...may he soften even this Christmas season with all of God's love shown to him by his family. xo

    ReplyDelete