Wednesday, December 05, 2012

New Cookies!

Every once in a while it's fun to try something new. There are always new recipes, but it's not often I come upon one I like and have all the makings for. Today I stirred up a batch of Cardamom Snaps, a new twist on the old molasses cookies. I have to say, Molasses Cookies have always been a favorite... Whenever I roll the balls of dough in a bowl of sugar, I am instantly transported back to my mother's kitchen where she was always willing to let me help in one way or another. I dumped ingredients and stirred until my arm ached. Mom rolled the dough into balls and dropped them into the sugar. I got to rolled them about until they were covered, and back in those days there was a window in the oven door and the inside lit up so I could watch the baking process. Anticipation is half the fun.

Since I am doing my best to stay gluten free, I didn't taste anymore then a very small piece broken from the edge of one cookie. Cardamom is somewhat new to me (I bought it to mix up some apple pie spice) and I love how it smells. So far everyone has said the cookies are very good. Rocky's dad said they had a "bright" taste and James says they just might be a new favorite. And since I think they smell wonderful that makes them all the more worth making.

You can find the recipe here- Cardamom Snaps

12 comments:

  1. Oh Martha...Back in those day....I had to laugh. My oven has a window and a light!!! And yes, I love watching the baking process!!!

    But then, I am back from those days. HaHa.

    The cookies do look great, and a glass of milk would work just find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a light in my oven, but I haven't had one where I could really see inside for years!

      Milk and cookies. Yes,

      Delete
    2. My oven has a window and a light too, Wanda. I guess the kid in me won out when we were looking for a stove. :)

      Delete
    3. I didn't get to pick mine. We had one with a window in our old house, but the light inside never worked.

      Delete
  2. By the way, the cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. copied the recipe. sounds so good.have you tried cardamom in your coffee yet? oh yummy with sugar..truvia I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't even thought to try it. Hmmm... maybe I'll have to give it a whirl.

      Delete
  4. Delicious! Makes me want to bake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I am into it, I'm really having fun. This afternoon I'm going to let the kids decorate cookies again.

      Delete