Sunday, November 02, 2008

Posting

I'm not sure if the season is winding down or gearing up. I suppose it's all in how one looks at it and what season I have my focus on. Summer and warm weather are definitely behind us now. James and I went for a very nice walk back in the orchard this afternoon. Jasmine's eyes were pleading to go out and not wanting to leave her out unattended I decided a hike through the trees was in order. Sofie went along too. It was not the warm walk of September, instead a cold breeze gave us an earache and I wore my gloves to keep the wind from drying out my wimpy hands. Yes the warmer weather is behind us now.

Although the temperatures are dropping and the days are growing short, there are great things to look forward to. With Halloween over, I can look at the harvest season in a new light. The pumpkins remain on the doorsteps and scarecrows still grace front yards and markets. Now it is time for Pilgrims and Indians (I still call them that), turkeys and mashed potatoes, apple pies and horns of plenty. A bushel of apples waits on my back porch and I'm beginning to wonder if we should make applesauce cake for the shower Bethany has planned for Leta next Sunday afternoon. I guess I am looking forward to doing some indoor projects without the guilt of feeling like I am wasting a good day staying in the house. Baking, canning, painting, and crafting are so much easier when the weather is cold and dreary. Christmas is right around the corner and I need to gather my ideas and start my preparations now.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that it is nice to have an excuse to stay inside, because I too have guilt issues with being inside on a nice day. I even went so far as to tell my husband I don't know if I'd like it if every day was beautiful and balmy. Because there's something about staying in on a rainy day that's satisfying too.

    I'm glad you had a good day, and am now wondering if I'll get some of your applesauce next Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you and Sherri on the weather, I'll take some cold, dreary days too so I don't feel so guilty staying indoors sometimes. I'm ready for some warm fires and fresh baked pies...maybe a little scrap booking too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've given up on getting all of the garden cleanup done. What the critters don't take care of for me will still be there in the spring. I'm really looking forward to a slower pace this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silly girls! Why would you feel guilty staying indoors? just enjoy each day, learn to follow your inner clock. Inside or outside
    I don't think God really cares as long as you are productive. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gmj, maybe you don't quite understand winter in upstate NY. Good weather is a precious commodity here and sunny days must never, ever be wasted by staying indoors. Once the cold weather sets in we will be inside for the next six to eight months. Being outside is a must when the sun shines and the temperatures cooperate. It's just that there is so much to accomplish inside and cold, gray days allow us to do that worry free. Once the snow flies (and settles on the ground) we will be virtually housebound. Stay tuned, it won't be long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gulp...Christmas *is* right around the corner....if anyone is in any doubt, they need only step into a dpeartment store.......

    ReplyDelete