Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I'm All Confused

My father called at 7 o'clock this morning. I didn't hear the phone ring but James came upstairs to wake me up and tell me that they had taken my mother to the hospital by ambulance. We prayed for her together and then I got up and took a shower. I wasn't quite sure what or how to think.

Dad had provided little detail and hadn't called either of my sisters. I considered what to do. I had no idea of her problem or condition but an ambulance sounded serious so I decided I needed to call Priscilla and Rachel. By the time we reached the hospital James' cell phone was ringing. It was Ben on the other end saying Grandpa had called and he was taking Grandma back home. Rachel was with us but I had no way to reach Priscilla. (I need to gather some cell phone numbers.) On the way home we stopped at Mom and Dad's house. There was no car in the driveway, just tire tracks and footprints. I still have no idea what happened or why they weren't home when we went back. I'm hoping someone will eventually call to fill me in.

That's me in the picture. I was just getting to know this soft, strong, woman who was my mother and she was just getting to know the tiny, bald person who was her first daughter.

UPDATE- Mom's heart was racing this morning. They called the ambulance and the EMT's agreed her heart rate was much too fast so they took her to the hospital. Once they had her heartbeat slowed down and under control, they started proceedings to have her released and Dad went home to get her some clothes. Priscilla was fortunate to find them in the emergency department but had an old cell phone number for James and none for Rachel. She decided to go out wait for us to let us know what was going on when we arrived. Having been told Mom was gone, of course we never arrived and Mom and Dad left while Priscilla waited. She did finally call here, got a new cell number from the kids, and then went to our parent's house to visit afterward. So, for now all is well and we have learned that we need to keep updated cell phone numbers in case of another emergency.

12 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear she's okay....those dreaded early morning or late night phone calls...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for coming to get me. I'm so glad we have all the updated cell phone numbers now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will continue to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant to ask you tonight how she was doing and well my short term memory is horrible. I am glad I can keep up on your blog, and know I'll be praying for her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ouch! Glad you have updated the phone numbers. I use speed dial and couldn't tell you what anyones phone # is. Now, are you okay? hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad to read things turned out ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm fine. Since I wasn't quite sure of the details yesterday, I thought I'd borrow Rachel's blog title. It seemed appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my what a scare. I love the picture of you and your mom. What a pretty young thing she was.

    All four of my babies were bald~~~~
    and cute like you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cell phones #s are updated. When Rachel called my old cell phone #, she actually called my mother-in-law. I had forgotten that she is using it now. She was very confused when Rachel called and insisted that I was talking in the background. The person she must have heard was you. I guess we must sound something alike over the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Martha, I'm glad she's okay. I had to do a double-take of the pic, I can see your Dave so clearly in her face! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete