Monday, November 17, 2008

A Magical Morning

When I stumbled out of my warm blankets this morning and headed for the shower, there was but a dusting of snow on the ground. Later, as I made my rounds of the house, I glanced out my kitchen window toward the west. A dark cloud hung over Lake Ontario in the not so distant sky. "A snowcloud," I thought. By the time Troy arrived at 8:30 am, the sidewalk was covered with a thin sticky blanket of snow. The road was a whitened path leading up the hill. I put on my gloves and jacket and gathered Sofie into my arms. I took Troy along with me to the dog groomer. A few miles south we drove out of the snow and into the sunshine. The road went from snow covered to wet to dry. By the time we reached the groomer's house the sun was shining. We dropped Sofie off and headed back toward the snow which was quickly making its way south.
There is something magical about the first real snow of the season and this was no exception. Being wet and sticky, the flakes stuck to tree branches, highlighting each with a thick line of white. Imagine Narnia during the rule of the White Witch and you will know what our world looked like today. A walk through the woods would have been enchanting if not for the presence of deer hunters. Maybe one day I will walk the thin line of woods over by my mother's house where no hunters wait and it is safe to play in winter.

6 comments:

  1. Blogger is acting silly again, watch out.
    Oh, I am excited for your winter, Not that I want you to have snow and the pain that goes with it but snow and the fun. I missed the snow people last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! We didn't get any snow here. At least there wasn't any when I left for work this morning, and none when I came home. I did see a few flakes in the air while I was at work, but nothing accumulated on the ground. It does look pretty in your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! I love the first snow of the year. We haven't gotten it here yet although we do have a weather advisory in effect right now so we'll see if we get anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got a very light dusting of snow. Tonight I drove to Buffalo. When I was ready to leave to come home it was nasty out there! I saw a nasty accident and drove 40 mph on the thruway. By the time I got to the Batavia exit, the pavement was dry and there wasn't much snow to speak of.
    However...as I neared my own town, it was snowy again. It took me 2 hours to drive home and it usually takes me about an hour and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures. My kids are dying to go to the snow. You just have to walk outside--- how nice, but I am sure it gets old just like anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos! I've still not even seen snow in person....maybe another year! (it doesn't ever snow in Sydney, but it does in other parts of my state...I think)

    ReplyDelete