Saturday, November 29, 2008

Boston Brown Bread

Both Rachel and I mentioned baking Boston Brown bread for Thanksgiving dinner this year. I looked it up online and found most of the recipes out there to be quite different from the one Mom always made when we were little girls. Mom's recipe is so much easier, requires fewer ingredients and is so yummy that I thought I'd share it with all of you. Use medium sized cans and don't overfill them. My bread always runs over. Not only is it messy, but it spoils the nice crunchy tops that we always fought over as kids. Maybe I should use seven cans instead of six.

BOSTON BROWN BREAD

1 c. raisins
3 c. water
2 c. sugar
4 T. shortening
5 c. flour
4 t. baking soda
1 t. salt

Bring water and raisins to a boil in large saucepan. Turn off heat. Add sugar and shortening. Sift together dry ingredients. Add to raisin mixture. Beat well making sure no large lumps remain. Bake in 6 greased cans at 350° for 1 hour.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Thank you, thank you Martha. I've always wanted to bake Boston Brown Bread, but never had a recipe.

    Looks delicious.

    Also, I wanted to thank you for the Scripture you put in your comment on my Sunday Meditation. I realized I was so busy sharing the story, I didn't add any Scripture... Not like me... So Thanks for doing it for me.

    Love that verse ~~ in fact that is the memory verse that goes with that lesson from Linda Dillow's book.

    LOL;Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new Header ~~ What a nice family~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine always overflows too. I always bake them with foil on the shelf below so that I don't have to clean my oven afterward. This and the sausage stuffing was a huge hit with Dave's family this year. We decided to mix a little bit of the turkey gravy in with the stuffing that wouldn't fit in the turkey (the REAL turkey gravy)and then we baked it, covered. It was just as good as the stuffing from the turkey that we always loved so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adam doesn't like raisins. Too bad for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this and did not get any this year! I can't believe I married into a family of people who don't care for raisins! Worse yet is that this poison of the mind is spreading to my own children!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, you visit and dont post? Whats with that? :) Can I cut the BBB in 1/2, sounds like too much for two old folks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes, Gmj, I am just feeling lazy or uninspired and therefore neglect to leave comments or write my own post. As far as I know You can cut the recipe in half. Or, you can wrap the extra loaves and share them with a friend.

    ReplyDelete