Thursday, October 30, 2008

Woodpiles and Leaf Raking

It is firewood weather. Each morning for the past week my husband has built a fire in the wood stove. There is something about the warmth of a fire that makes a house warm and welcoming. On chilly mornings everyone tries to find a spot on the couch or in a chair close to the fire. Jasmine stretches out on the rug on the floor, and every once in a while one of us takes a turn standing close to the front of the stove where the heat from the fire warms up our backside. A few years ago, when the power was out for four days, we cooked our meals and heated water on the wood stove and huddled around it to stay warm. I imagine that's how it was in the old days, families gathered around the primary heat source, playing games and working where it was warm while the rest of the house was cold and silent.

Soon fall will be over and the leaf piles will have either been hauled away or blown into the neighbor's yard. I always feel just slightly guilty for the leaves that blow across the street from our yard into Bob's. He tries so hard to keep an immaculate home. He is always out picking up, raking, and trying to keep things neat and tidy. Here... well, we do try but when there are still leaves on the trees it seems a waste of time to rake the yard, besides they look so pretty laying all over the ground and they're so much fun to jump in!

9 comments:

  1. Oh I want one... what? yes I want one. A pile of leaves, a wood stove, a family gathered around the heat source, a hot something in my hand, a blankie to wrap up in. Those days seem to behind me, but you trigger the memories of a fine and beautiful time. Thanks. And blessings on you and yours. Come listen to the music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a fire going right now, too. Yes, I love it, too. It is so cozy.
    Kids love leaf-piles. They are so much fun.
    I was just thinking yesterday while walking,that the floor is covered with leaves and by next summer....they are all gone, that is nature's fertilizer, tell that to your neighbor!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was not Abby, that was me, Gudl (I guess Abby was using my computer!! haha)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing beats a warm fireplace. And I hate raking leaves... well maybe I don't hate it, but it's not my flavorite thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the smell of a wood fire. It must be so cozy and nice to have a wood burning stove in your house. The sound of the crackling fire is so cozy too. Glad you have a good pile of wood going for the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll bet you didn't need a fire today...well, maybe this morning. It is absolutely gorgeous outside!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my woodstove... I'm really hoping we get wood this year!

    BTW, we don't rake - we mow them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are not good about raking leaves either. Denis waits until they are all down and then does it in one fell swoop. Well, at least you are giving Bob something to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I do miss fires in the fireplace. They were cozy.

    ReplyDelete