Friday, October 10, 2008

Apple Harvest

Music plays in the orchard once again. It is a beautiful day for picking apples. Always intrigued by the workers, but never brave enough to get pictures, I took advantage of proximity this morning and snapped a few from the secrecy of my dining room window. Yes, he is just across the street and had no idea I was watching. (Is that fair, do you think?)
In Bible times, the poor of the land were allowed to pick the edges of the fields and glean what was on the ground once the harvest was complete. In this orchard all that is left on the ground are rotted apples. I watched this young man scoop the drops off the ground and gather them into his sack. They will eventually be trucked off around the corner to Mott's where they will be washed and made into juice or applesauce. I imagine those who actually do the harvesting are allowed to take plenty of apples home and doubt there would be many others gathering what is left on the ground anyway.
Maybe I'll pick some of my own apples today and make some applesauce when the weather cools back down. Today I'm looking forward to an orchard walk and plan to enjoy every moment.

3 comments:

  1. I am with you in spirit on that walk. I sure wish you would bake an apple pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you have a beautiful view out of your windows. It must be so pretty this time of year. I got some apples at the farmer's market yesterday. Maybe I'll make a pie this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a view.....I can smell those apples....

    ReplyDelete