Sunday, October 12, 2008

Another Sleepy Sunday

I honestly would have preferred to spend my afternoon walking leisurely through the orchard, but instead I wound up sleeping most of the afternoon. I sneezed my way through yesterday but by evening it was apparent something else was going on. Both James and I have picked up a cold somewhere, stuffy sinuses, headache,... I took some medicine and ate some chicken soup. Tonight you get photos from earlier in the week.

Did you know God invented Velcro? It grows in abundance out my backyard and around the side of Barn 2. Years ago I had a child who made a very cute burdock sculpture of a bear. I had it up on a shelf for quite some time, but one day it fell down and imbedded itself in the carpet. It didn't survive the clean up.
My kids used to have burdock wars down at the park. It was a fun game unless it got tangled in their hair. Burdock should definitely be kept out of Sofie's hair. She got a few on her face and tangled in her ear the other day. Not a good thing. Luckily she isn't the type of dog who will be scrounging through the underbrush so her encounters with burdock should be few. Her haircut is still looking good, (still short enough to pull burdock out of). She looks so much cuter when she is able to see.
And... I thought the wood pile made and interesting photograph. Hannah was out tossing logs into the trailer so they could be hauled up and stacked on the back porch. This is usually the boys job, but sometimes we help too. (Good exercise.)We have a pretty good looking supply of wood out there. I wonder how long it will last.

8 comments:

  1. :) How thrifty are ya at burning the wood? I like a fire, but I do not like the heat. So I'm not to thrifty. I would lite the fire then open the door. :) We have burdoc to. ugly stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we do not open the door in the dead of winter, the snow would blow in and we would all turn into ice cubes. I like a fire, I like the heat from the fire, especially if it is very cold outside. I guess how thrify we are will depend on how cold it gets and how warm we want to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What cool pictures.... I can't believe Sophie ~~~ she could be Molly's twin sister!!!

    Unforseen things kept me from being at the Chili Cook-off, but my Chili was there, and my friend will let me know tomorrow how it went over, and if we one any prizes.

    Lets HOPE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for giving you a cold :(

    I remember Jim's burdock sculpture, it was an item of great discussion. Or maybe it wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the line>>>Did you know God invented velcro? So true now that I think about it. I pick it out of my Lhasa's fur (Zoey). She looks like yours and Wanda's dog.

    Zoey got hold of a mouse my cat killed last night. I'm still grossed out to the max. She finally dropped it and I got a kleenex to hold it by the tail and fling it over the fence, but the tail BROKE OFF! It was flying in the air headed to my head. EEEEEEK. I know I woke up neighbors squealing. Anyway, glad it's over. I still haven't petted her since the incident. Ok, I just had to tell someone about it. Sorry.

    Sorry about the cold too, but I can relate. Went through 2 boxes of Kleenex this wkend, but I'm better to day--thank the Lord.

    I think this is the longest comment I have EVER left. I bet you wish you were not the bearer of it too.

    Take care,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angie, I love your comment. I would be grossed out too if I knew my dog ate a dead mouse. It bed enough to know the cats eat them. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, actually, that was me and not Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear about the cold you and James have. Hope you guys are over it soon.

    The pictures of your wood pile has brought back memories of when I was a kid living with my parents and having to stack the wood that we had delivered each year. I sooo hated doing that. But I sure would love to do it now...too bad we don't have a fireplace. Funny how age changes you.

    ReplyDelete