Thursday, October 02, 2008

Too Wet to Go Out

Yes, indeed! It was a very wet morning. On my way to the preschool I prayed that the rain would stop and the sun would come out. My prayers were answered, but not soon enough. We packed a dozen three and four year olds into cars and vans and when Mrs. K came around to see that all the children were accounted for, she asked me how I felt about this field trip. "Oh, it's exciting!" I said and smiled. Better to make the best of a soggy situation than to complain, besides Troy was wearing mud boots and I had located my umbrella in case of a torrential downpour.
We drove caravan style to the farm market where the rain poured down in buckets. We were instructed to keep the children inside the vehicles while the teachers went to talk with the market owner. Someone made an executive decision and decided it was just too cold, wet and muddy to drag little children about in the rain.
I could read disappointment in Troy's eyes as he looked longingly across the rain soaked field at the pumpkins and play equipment. I knew how he felt, I was disappointed too, but returning to a warm dry building was really a wise choice. Instead of a Farm Market Day, we had a "Party Day" with cider, cookies, and popcorn. The children were clean, dry and smiling and looking forward to going back to the Farm Market another day. Oh, and the sun has been shining since school let out.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry your trip got rained out, but it sounds like the kids liked "party day". Being at Burnaps in the rain might have meant a bunch of little kids with colds next week. I am chilled to the bone today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I worked there once! Or twice... Better to go again on a dryer day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I clicked the photos and you can see all the rain pelting relentlessly. Pretty none the less and the market looks just as nice as ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, that is sad, but it will be much more fun another day! I'm glad you got to party, anyway:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it was a rather nice morning with Troy. He seemed pleased to have both Hannah and me there to share his day.

    Bethany, I thought of the days you worked in the store when it was cold and rainy... Brrr!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You still got very nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big bummer about the rain. Hopefully you can all try again though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, however disappointing, I think the wisest decision was made. I've been caught at leave five times in the past week without an umbrella and I've been rained on plenty. Ugh. It's no fun!

    ReplyDelete