Saturday, October 25, 2008

Cornstalk Teepees and a Blogger Surprise

Gorgeous late autumn days are hard to resist. The sun was shining, the streets were dry, and I had a four year old all day. He had missed out on our previous outing so yesterday seemed a perfect opportunity.
First we visited Bauman's where each year they have a great hay bale maze and spooky house. We bought half a dozen fried cakes and ate them in the car on the way to Power's Farm Market.
I used to hang out at these two locations for what seemed like hours when my own children were small and I remember my own excitement as a child, runnung into the teepees, picking a pumpkin to carve, and Dad buying a gallon of apple cider and a box of warm fried cakes.
I didn't forget the quarters. Power's sells a miniscule handful of pellets for 25 cents so visitors can have the fun of feeding the livestock. Pretty smart, huh? I wanted Troy to have fun feeding the animals and I didn't want the animals to be disappointed either.

It was getting past lunchtime but we decided to make one more stop before heading back toward home, Powder Mills Park Fish Hatchery. More quarters, more pellets. The fish were biting today! Happily, nobody fell in the water. (I once saw a daddy pluck his little daughter from the cold water and carry her away dripping.) We were all hungry so off we went to Wendy's for a hamburger and a Frosty.
Finally, since my dog was still missing, I headed toward the humane society, Lollypop Farm. I wanted to leave a discription of Jazz in case someone turned her in. I started to pull in to a parking space where a dark haired woman was just getting out her van. She glanced at me as I parked. (I almost ran her over so she probably wanted to get a good look at whoever was trying to kill her.) Then she did a double-take. I looked familiar to her and I thought I had seen her somewhere before too. She was wearing sunglasses. "Hey," I said, "Don't I know you from the blog?" She laughed and said, "Martha?" Now I must admit that I knew Carla previous to blogging, I even went to her wedding, but our recent contact has been only through blogging. She lives in Ohio and I had no idea she was home for the weekend. What a fun surprise!

3 comments:

  1. That is so neat that you ran into each other!
    Sounds like a fun day! It's a good thing it wasn't like today. My kids are driving me crazy today since we're all stuck inside. :) I must think of something fun to do. Maybe we should make some cut outs and decorate them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a wonderful blogger surprise... Wish I could meet some of our blogger friends.

    Amazing how close you can feel without seeing someone in person.

    What a great maze and teepees....what a delightful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it looked like her. But it didn't make sense to me that it would be her. What fun! did you talk for endless hours?

    ReplyDelete