Sunday, March 12, 2023

The Barn Collective and Pancakes Too

It was time to change the clocks back an hour. To celebrate this momentous occasion I stayed overnight with my sister Priscilla. We rose before the crack of dawn and set off in the dark for Cartwright's Maple Tree Inn in Angelica, NY. There was already a line to get inside but it wasn't extraordinarily long. We enjoyed a fabulous breakfast of eggs, buckwheat pancakes with real maple syrup, and coffee (which we sweetened with maple syrup too). 

It is quite literally impossible for either my sister or me to leave the Angelica area without driving through town, around Park Circle, and past the house where Great grandma Shafer lived with Uncle Leo. 

Angelica and the surrounding towns, once dotted with small, working farms like those of my great grandparents and great uncles, the area is now home to a rather robust community of Amish families. We passed several buggies with families on their way to Meeting. We waved at each other as we drove past. I saw them smile and I was smiling too.

I left my camera back at Priscilla's house (thought of it on our way through the darkness) so I took a few pictures with my phone instead. It's a handy backup when I don't have the real thing along.

I'm joining you today, Tom.

8 comments:

  1. ...we have wanted to go to Cartwright's, but haven't made it yet this year. I love the picture of the Amish buggy. At first I thought that I knew where the barn is, but now I'm not sure. What road is it on? The shorter wooden silo is fabulous, I'd love to see it up close. Thanks, I've missed your barns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have missed posting barns. This one is on Old State Rd just before it runs into County Rd 15. It really is a fabulous barn!

      Delete
    2. ...ok, I know that barn!!!

      Delete
  2. What a great day out! Buckwheat and maple pancakes sound amazing, the the scenery is beautiful. Love the photo of the Amish buggy. Over 20 years ago we visited the Amish community in Pennsylvania and saw the buggies and their beautiful houses and barns. Always nice to go back to see Grandma's house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fabulous day. I found myself smiling at the thought of getting up so early to drive off in the dark for a few pancakes, but it was so fun.

      Amish country is unique. Seeing the buggies on their way to meeting wasn't an everyday occurrence. We happened to be on the right road at the precisely the right time. We probably passed close to a dozen. And grandma's house is always special, even if we can't go inside and visit Grandma anymore.

      Delete
  3. Gosh, this made me think about Dave and my trip into the Amish country 30 years ago. I am in shock when I realize how many years ago that was. We loved the barns and all the quaintness of the area. Wish we could have some of those yummy pancakes and enjoy the scenery too.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time goes way to fast. I remember when my mom and dad came back from a visit to one of his uncle's house and said the Amish were moving into the area. They had stopped and purchased some baked goods at a roadside stand. Whenever I visit the area, I have a hankering to go back.

      Delete
  4. Hi Martha! Your breakfast sounds wonderful!! I live buckwheat pancakes. They just have so much more flavour. You little road trip sounds like fun, especially with your sister 💕💕

    Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

    ReplyDelete