Monday, June 08, 2020

Bits and Pieces

* Last week I witnessed a rescue. Just across the railroad tracks on the other side of the Erie Canal, a white truck was stopped in the middle of the road with several cars waiting behind. Traffic in my lane had also come to a stop. A black man with a shovel, and his white female companion, were scooping a turtle toward the swampy area along the road. I can only assume it was a snapping turtle or they'd have likely picked him up with the hands. Once the creeping reptile was safely on the other side, they hopped back into their truck and we all went our separate ways. I'm guessing several of us were smiling. I know I was.

* Today I got a surprise at work. I opened the refrigerator to take out the milk and was greeted by a blast of warm air and the scent of old hot dogs. You know as well as I do that the interior of a refrigerator is supposed to be cold... Ours was not. I put my hand on one of our milk jugs. It was not cold. In fact, it was quite warm. (blech!) One of our staff ran down the road to Walmart for two more gallons of milk and I took a new package of hot dogs out of the freezer. Pretty much everything in the refrigerator was lost. I saved some fresh carrots and a jar of grape jam. Everything else went into the dumpster. The garbage men don't come until Friday and to tell the truth, I'm a little concerned about those three unopened gallons of milk in there. I might just park as far away from that dumpster as possible for a while.

* I was surprised at work one day last week too, but it was a good surprise. Someone sent me a card with a little gift inside. I haven't a clue where it came from, except that I don't think it was one of my coworkers. It was sent in care of the daycare center. How fun is that? On the way home I bought myself an iced coffee to celebrate. So yummy!

* Tonight I am finding myself tired and achy. Wearing flip flops can make me achy, and spring allergies always make me sleepy. I'm going to bed early again tonight.

(No photos of bulging milk jugs or snapping turtles. Not even a shot of my coffee. Instead a couple of photos from my drive home from the party the other day.)

6 comments:

  1. Loved tthe story about the turtle. There are nice people in this crazy world.

    Just a heads up. I wear orthopedic flip flops! I wouldn't be able to walk in the flat ones. I buy the ones by Vionic and they are amazing. A little spendy, but they last and last (unless your dog eats them).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the second time I've witnessed someone stop traffic to help a turtle. Of course, living in the country for so long previous to moving, I have done my share of rescues too.

      I bought myself some new Teva Mush flip flops. They are generally better than the flip flops found in most places. I will look up the Vionic ones too and see how they are different. Thanks.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. Ugh...sour milk...gag...
    I sure hope that the fridge gets fixed...cause you've got kiddos to feed.
    Love the story about the turtle rescue...made my day.
    Sometimes we need a nice feel good story to get through the day.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gag is right! I've heard a new fridge is on order. I hope it comes soon. Right now we're making do with the 3 mini refrigerators in the building.

      The turtle rescue was a story to smile at.
      :0)

      Delete
  3. We need rescue stories. Thanks. Spoiled milk and buttermilk are not the same thing..haha. Hope the frig got fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am seriously concerned about the stench that will eventually permeate our dumpster... Yikes! Spoiled milk is nothing like sour milk either. It's SO BAD!

      Thankfully I noticed it right away and we didn't serve up anything spoiled. That would have been disastrous!
      :0)

      Delete