Wednesday, October 01, 2014

California Blogging

I had to smile this morning as I looked through some of my California photos. Wanda knew just how to immediately put me at ease. When I arrived at the airport she was waiting for me at the bottom of the escalator. Before I even found my suitcase, I'd received a welcoming smile and been enveloped in a warm hug. It was a great beginning.

There were pretty lunches (and breakfasts) at Wanda's house. Strawberries and green grapes were served with sandwiches on paper plates, and we sipped iced tea from stemware. It was the perfect blend of plain and fancy even if I didn't notice that particular combination until I came back home. There were plenty of meals served on pretty glass plates and every meal was full of love. I am taking lessons and making mental notes.

Wanda and I wandered thrift stores in search of treasure, visited Wanda's good friend Elizabeth in the home for senior ladies, and had long heart to heart talks over coffee and scones. At night, before drifting off to sleep there was always a warm hug and a kiss on the cheek. Just what my "heart that misses my own mom" needed.

I found myself enchanted by Don's morning routine of sitting in his
rocking chair out on the balcony, Bible on his lap, whispering his prayers for the new day. It reminded me of my own dad, sitting in his patio room in his rocking chair, Bible on his lap, whispering his morning prayers...

Southern California was wrapped up in a heat wave when I made my arrival Tuesday, the 16th of September. It was about 105ºF when I stepped off the plane and reminded me of a day a little over 33 years ago when I arrived in Albuquerque, New Mexico and it was 109ºF. That kind of heat beats down from above and then bounces back up from the pavement to make sure you are "well done" on both sides. It doesn't really matter whether it's "dry" or not, it'll have you feeling crispy in no time.

PS. I "captured" Wanda's elusive butterfly and that thing did not hold still ever! Even at rest he was flapping his wings like crazy. I think it's a swallowtail.

4 comments:

  1. that all sounds just wonderful....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it does. Maybe one day you and I can both escape and go to California.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. Sounds great. Wanda sounds like a great friend.

    I can still hear Dad muttering prayers under his breath. It always gave me such a sense of security, loved hearing him pray during his devotions... even if I couldn't really hear what was being said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice if she wasn't quite so far away.

      I keep trying to find a more positive way to say "mumbling" or "Muttering" but I haven't found one yet. I had to smile because it reminded me so much of Dad.

      Delete