Thursday, October 02, 2014

California Apple Pie, a Street Fair, and Fond Farewells

Apple pie is a yummy fall treat no matter which side of the country we call home. Wanda and I bought a bag of granny smith apples on our way home one afternoon and set about building a pie the following day. The crust didn't turn out light and flaky like usual (sometimes that happens), but it was delicious just the same. Don said it tasted just like Grandma's apple pie.






On Friday evening we headed off to a street fair in Monrovia where we discovered a shark as big as the fish that swallowed Jonah, various street vendors, and a yummy Mexican restaurant called Rudy's. I ordered a chicken taco with rice and beans, and a tamale. It was all so good, but my tummy filled up fast and on the way home I was in possession of a small box of leftovers for my Saturday morning breakfast.




Saturday morning came all too fast and we soon found ourselves on the way back to the airport where had first met only a few days earlier. I look a little tired in our final photo, but then again, I was only just beginning to adjust from NY time to California.


My flight out of LAX was delayed by about an hour making my arrival in Denver coincide with the departure of my connecting flight to Minneapolis. I knew before I stepped off the first plane that I was going to miss the next one, but rather than panic, I decided to relax and enjoy a new experience. There was nothing to be gained by getting mad or anxious anyway, so I walked the concourse, bought a lunch, watched people, and took a few pictures while I waited four hours for the next flight out. I wasn't alone in my predicament, and we all eventually made it safely to Minnesota.



 Progress. I am making progress. I didn't stress over a flight delay (at least not much) and I remembered to trust that Someone bigger than me was in control.

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful pie.
    Your attitude about the missed flight was a good one and leaving it to Him is always a good decision. ~ Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine. It really did taste yummy too.
      I am trying to gradually adjust that attitude of mine. Several years ago I lost my van keys dropping my kids off at camp and actually surprised myself by not getting all bent out of shape about it. I am amazed to this day. ha ha!
      :0)

      Delete
  2. Hope you are catching up on your sleep...
    Jet lag can be horrible...
    Guess what?
    The sun just came out! YAY!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to catch up on sleep, but extenuating circumstances have made this task challenging... However, I think I am doing alright.

      We have sun too! The morning was rather dreary, but the kids got an afternoon bounce on the trampoline.

      :0)

      Delete
  3. Martha it was lovely you could finally meet your on line friend. What a lovely hubbie to do that for you :-) It sounds to me you had such a wonderful time and good for you not getting all bent out of shape over missing a flight. You did what I would have done - got something to eat, wandered around the airport to see the sights (and there are LOTS in the human variety eh?) and just enjoy the time alone. I always have my reader along. The pie looked good :-)

    Marilyn from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marilyn, it was very kind and missing the plane to Minneapolis was just part of the adventure. It was easy though. I never even had to leave the airport.
      :0)

      Delete
  4. I love seeing the photos. You had such a wonderful time!
    Glad you were flexible and laid back....how wise you are! :)

    ReplyDelete