Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Tell Me When It Hurts

And a man's enemies will be those of his own house
Matthew 10:36

I know we are not alone and yet the words sting. They sting not because I am hurt, for the offense is not really against me or those I love, but against my Lord and Savior. They do not understand, this I know, but neither do they want to. Even the mention of God's name arouses anger and hatred. How can this be when there has been no offense committed and nothing but love offered? Although the words cut deep, the pain is not for me but for those we love, those speaking hurtful words, those who are running, running from the God who created them, running from the God who loves them so much He sent his Son to die in their place.

I am grateful for a God who loves me too. He knows when I need a word of encouragement, an act of kindness, the prayers of a friend, or even a chance meeting in a stressful situation (like the hospital). Not only did we receive a card of encouragement from a friend in this afternoon's mail, but a package showed up on my back steps too. A box full of love from the Pacific Northwest. Ah, there is not only hatred and animosity out there, but love and kindness too! Thank you, Judi, and tell Papa that his BBQ sauce was wonderful on our burgers tonight! The pickles will set until the end of October even though they are calling to me through the glass. I see them smiling. And your jam is on the way!

If the package from Judi weren't enough, I also had a phone call from a special, faraway friend who called to talk and offer her love and encouragement. What an awesome God! He not only knows what I need and when, but He makes sure of the delivery too.

9 comments:

  1. Yes, God does love us and shows us in so many ways.

    I'm so glad you got your package today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to bring a smile in a time of gloom. I visit my pickles on the garage shelves everyday, *sigh*. October is a long wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be over for burgers soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and your whole family have some wonderful loving friends and family Martha..Savour each and every positive drop of love you can get..and know only tooooo well the YOU, My dear! and your family soooo deserve all the love and caring that you can get..Your good people!!
    ps..I love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a cool surprise! I love homemade pickles!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a word of encouragement - in freedom you may reject it. do not say if you turn them upside down they are all the same. the potter put his initials on the bottom of pots that are good but on pots that he loves he writes his full name in large letters. this is why we can see the name Yeshua written on you from over here. peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a delight!
    How lovely when you know you are thought of in such a fond way. ♥

    ReplyDelete