Sunday, September 06, 2009

Home Again

"Home" It is a sweeter word today. Dad came home from the hospital Saturday afternoon. Once he was in the house, Rachel asked him what he wanted to do. His reply put the smile back on my face and a bit of hope in my heart. "I want to sit on my back porch," he said, "and I want my banjo." That is my dad! He is weak, he is tired, he is hopeful. It is an unknown journey we are facing and there is much trepidation. I am afraid, but I intend to enjoy my dad for as long as the Lord allows.

My son, Jim, flew home from Minnesota Friday morning. His dad called him Thursday and advised him to come home and not to wait too long. He didn't waste any time getting here and I am grateful for his presence with us this weekend. Tomorrow morning he must return to Minneapolis and start his new job Tuesday, but he was here. I'm sure it means as much to his Grandpa as it has to James and I.

Last night I stayed overnight at my parent's house. Dad's double bed has been moved into a spare room and a hospital bed moved into his. Mom has slept in a hospital bed since she went on oxygen eight years ago. Where have the days gone where both of my parents slept snug together in their own bed? Where have those days of childhood gone and what is it that lies ahead?

11 comments:

  1. Seeing him happy to be home surrounded by so many who love him, makes me feel better. I have to remember now not to forget mom who's health is also failing, although suddenly she seems like the healthier one....it's strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Martha, I cried when I read that your dad wanted to be on his back porch with his banjo.

    The days ahead will find you resting in the Heavenly Father's Arms, and being surrounded with those that love you.

    A sad day when a couple that have been in love and married for so long cannot share a bed. I don't want that to ever happen...but someday I know it will.

    Love you so much Martha...wish I was closer, but I'm there in my heart and prayers.

    Love and Hugs
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha,

    Wanda said it so well. Will keep on praying.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aging is part of life. accepting it is the hard part. Sounds like they have adjusted to sleeping apart sometime ago, as it was eight years since you mom needed a hospital bed.
    He will rest better in a bed that adjusts to his needs, like head elevated, etc.
    My own dad passed so quickly and unexpectedly. Three days of a cold then poof, he was gone. I am thankful you have time to express your love, gratitude and show him the grace his faith has taught you.
    You will remain in my thoughts through this trying time. know you are loved by those who you have touched through blogging.
    Remember, you can do this.
    hugs, Gmj.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, I love you, and yes, it does seem strange.

    Wanda, Joy, Judi, (and Stacy, because I know you're out there), I am amazed at the love and support the Lord has provided through blogging. I love you all too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Martha, I know this sounds strange but the week my mother spent in hospice was a very special time. She knew she belonged to God, and was at peace with passing on. As heart wrenching as it was for us, I wouldn't trade those memories for anything. Your dad is a faithful and Godly man, and He will be with him every step of the way....and you and your family, too....hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As many people are probably telling you, just keep on trusting Jesus. I know how hard it can be to see your Dad not feel good, but just focus on spending time with him and doing what you love to do with him. My family is praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I am out here. And praying for your dad. I am still so amazed I got to meet him [and YOU!]. I feel blessed.
    I pray that you and your sisters and your mom are filled with joy as you savor your dad. And I will continue to pray for him in all the ways God is leading me to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Martha,

    Your dad and mom have always enjoyed their home. It was always a comfortable place to go to; wonderful smells, and warmth and joy. I have such good memories of your childhood home and the place where we shared so many memories. Your mom's hot cocoa, your dad's banjo playing and the quiet kindness that they both always displayed to each other and to others. Your dad has touched so many and I am grateful to be included. Be strong and call on those people who love you if you need them-including me.
    Love ya (even though you have scarred me forever)-Angel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tennis anyone?

    Just remember, Angel, I am not afraid to kiss your forehead, and I love you.

    Yes, we have many wonderful memories, like you locking me out of my own house and me getting hung up by the seat of my pants on Mrs. Sullivan's fence.

    ReplyDelete