Sunday, September 27, 2009

Letting Go

For since the creation of the world His invisible [attributes] are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,
Romans 1:20

I looked around the house and saw Dad everywhere. Little signs that he loves us and thought, that's just like Jesus. He leaves us little signs everywhere, little signs that He loves us.

I sat by his bed, held his hand in mine and felt the tears well up inside. We listened to visitors talking in the dining room. One mentioned having a place in Florida. Dad glanced my way and said, "Would you ever want to live in Florida?" "No," I said, "Maybe somewhere in between like Tennessee or..." "Or Fairport," he said. I laughed out loud. Fairport is just 20 miles south of my parents' house. This is home and Dad never had any desire to move away.

Though weak and sleepy, he still hears everything. He knows what is going on around him and every once in a while will join in the conversation. He knows each one who comes to the bedroom door, each one who kisses his forehead, each one who stops to reaffirm his or her love. He knows our tears.

It has been a hard weekend. I found myself returning time after time to Dad's bedside this evening, sitting on that chair by the bed, and taking his hand in mine. I was afraid to go home, afraid to leave him, afraid he won't be there when I return, and at the same time praying for his departure. "Lord Jesus, Please take my Dad home." It was all I could say. He can't get up, he can barely talk... Though I miss him terribly already, I am ready to let him go.

9 comments:

  1. praying, praying, always praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This spring I saw a beautiful flower
    growing in my flower bed!
    It was beautiful smelling very nice and gave me a feeling of youth and joy.
    The other day I went out to see it and it had started to fade.
    I was sad and I closed my eyes to wipe my tears and there was my beautiful flower!
    Always in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that you know...God has blessed you with this time with your dad.
    Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. continuing to breath with you. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He said that this was the time of weeping, but joy comes in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what to say, this is such a heart-wrenching time for you...I am still praying for you and your family....and sending you a big big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I prayed for you all weekend.

    Love and big, big hugs from Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He is home now. I feel sweet relief, and yet I can't imagine life without him here. I'm so glad we were surrounding him as he took his last breath.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don and I hold you in our hearts and prayers Martha... You, and all your wonderful family.
    Love and Hugs
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete