Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Farther Along

Tempted and tried, we're oft made to wonder
Why it should be thus all the day long,
While there are others living about us,

Never molested, though in the wrong.

Refrain-
Farther along we'll know all about it,
Farther along we'll understand why;

Cheer up my brother, live in the sunshine,
We'll understand it all by and by.


When death has come and taken our loved ones,

It leaves our home so lonely and drear,

Then do we wonder why others prosper
Living so wicked year after year.


Faithful til death, said our loving Master

A few more days to labor and wait,
Toils of the road will then seem as nothing

As we sweep through the beautiful gate.

When we see Jesus, coming in glory,

When He comes from His home in the sky,

Then we shall meet Him in that bright mansion,

We'll understand it all by and by.


This song has been playing in my head for the last couple of months but, amazingly, I didn't connect it with my dad until listening to his tapes yesterday afternoon. When it first came to mind I was praying for a friend facing severe trials. I somehow knew we would be facing our own trial down the road, but I never guessed what it would be.

7 comments:

  1. Martha,

    I haven't head that old song since I was a little child.
    As I read it, it was all familiar so I know I must have heard it often.

    May the Lord bless and keep you in His loving arms.

    Love and Hugs for you and your family.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the guitar I learned to play on. I didn't even know it was his. I didn't know where it came from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful song, one from my childhood also. But then you knew that didn't ya? :) hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy and Judy, one day maybe I will figure out how to post a track of my own Dad singing this song. Just have to figure out how.

    Jim, that is your little guitar that Grandpa is playing. The pictures were taken at our old house by Grandmanita. I think the guitar may actually have come from my cousin, Pam, but I'm not quite sure anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi mom. I just thought maybe I'd revisit your blog. {:/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't is amazing how God puts a song in your head to help you through these hard times. That has happened to me so many times. I will awake in the night with a song playing in my head, and days down the road it will be just what I needed. God's love is amazing!

    ReplyDelete