Monday, September 14, 2009

A Bend In the Road



Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

The road ahead is uncertain. Dad is tired. In some ways he seems discouraged. He had hoped to return to church and at least one of his nursing home services, but fatigue and lack of strength have kept him home. Even playing his instruments leaves him tired. Saturday afternoon we bought him a touch lamp for his nightstand. He wanted to pay for it, but I told him it was a Christmas present. No more stumbling through the darkness on his way to and from the bathroom. I find it difficult to determine how much help he needs and how much independence is necessary. As a family we struggle to know how often to be there and when Mom and Dad need time alone. We have come to a bend in the road, a hairpin curve of sorts, and although we are sure of the destination, the way is strange and unfamiliar.

And the pendulum swings...

This morning I had a phone call from Mom. Dad wants us to back off a little. He loves the attention but he wants to get back to normal. No overnight stays are necessary; visits are welcome, but he doesn't need anyone to do everything for him. He feels the need to be more active (this has always been his way) and wants to be up and about. He wants to walk around in his yard (no one has tried to stop him) and talks again of going back to a couple of his nursing home services. I ask only for wisdom and grace; wisdom to know what to do and grace to follow through.

6 comments:

  1. I can't speak openly. It is hard for me to be silent, but swearing to a secret is an oath I can't break.
    Just know,I know. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many hugs and even more prayers are being sent your way. That video is precious. So is our God. He knows what you [and your Dad, and Mom and sisters] are feeling. I pray he just soaks up your grief and shows you His path for you all to take in this process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha,

    My husband and I prayed for your Dad, Mother and you this morning and will continue to do so.

    From my side, being 75 and having a very difficult past few years, I can understand both sides. I know he thinks he will somehow manage to get enough energy to do those things he loves and has always done. It is so hard not to be able to do things after always being the server. The transition to the one being served is so difficult and we go into denial.

    Then~ I know your heart also having been through a long illness with my mother.
    One thing to be really thankful for is that you are near and can help. I was over 300 miles away.

    The greatest is knowing the God of all comfort and peace.

    Love and Hugs,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing man he is..in sooo many respects..and the video will be cherished for years..love to you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you took the video. A couple of years ago, I videoed him and Nathan playing at Christmas time. The quality was very poor and ?I don't think I kept it. I figured I'd take another one.

    Keep taking them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete