Friday, September 11, 2009

Settling In

The diagnosis is now over a week old. Dad is home from the hospital and things are beginning to settle back into a routine, a new routine. Each night one of us takes an overnight pack and stays at the house with them and each day someone is there to look out for their needs. We are struggling to determine just how much help they need and when they need time alone. It is a guessing game, in some ways, for all of us.

Cancer is a hidden disease and one never really knows how it will strike or how quickly it will progress. We are encouraged that although Dad ate very little in the hospital, his appetite seems to have returned at home. (Mom really does make the best poached eggs!) He is still enjoying his favorite spots in the house and looking often for his banjo. He is eager to return to at least one of his nursing home services, The Maplewood in Webster.

In times of trial I am grateful for the love of my Savior. I can trust Him with all my tomorrows as He gives me grace and strength to get through the present day. I can't imagine living without that comfort and this is why I wish all of my family had the blessing of knowing God's love. There is nothing like it.

7 comments:

  1. What a great picture! I'm still praying for you all. I'm glad that life in settling into a new routine. Your parents are so blessed to have so many people available to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dad looks so nice! What a great man! I am glad you are doing 'ok' and pulling all together. May God's peace continue to be with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a great picture, and I knew you could do it. You always will, you are blessed. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your parents always took such great care of Mark and I when they looked after us. Mark talks of them both often and we both have very fond memories. I know he visited a few years back. I am guilty of not having done that but they are awesome parents and friends and are in our families thoughts everyday.

    Cindi Sweet and family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha,

    I truly love your posts.

    I know you must have the greatest of parents. The most wonderful thing is~ that you are able to see that and give them praise and give glory to the Lord.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine living without that comfort and this is why I wish all of my family had the blessing of knowing God's love. There is nothing like it.
    AMEN!

    I will keep praying for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In times of trial I am grateful for the love of my Savior. I can trust Him with all my tomorrows as He gives me grace and strength to get through the present day.

    Absolutely. Glad you are finding strength in our saviour. I'm praying for your parents and your family each day.

    ReplyDelete