Tuesday, February 27, 2024

The Feels

 I write it here because it helps get it out of my brain and onto "paper"...

The struggle is real. I don't know whether it's due to mid winter (even though it feels more like April) or because tomorrow (now today) marks ten years since my mom's "graduation day," or because the work situation really is taking a toll, but I feel defeated and defective. I know feelings do not equal truth and there is a way out of the abyss I have fallen into. I just haven't found it quite yet...

Two doctor appointments tomorrow; one for a cortisone injection (here's hoping it solves my problem with SI joint pain) and another with the doctor I saw a week and a half ago about my blood pressure (which is sometimes up and sometimes down). I didn't have an appointment time for the injection until this afternoon and so took tomorrow off. It's unpaid because I didn't ask to use PTO in time... Getting used to new people, places, policies is not fun. I was not paid for the day the doctor wrote off either because it was "just under the six month employment time requirement." Ugh! I'm working on another email... 


I'm confused. The Employee Handbook says on p. 14,

"All full time employees will be awarded 16 hours 
of Paid Sick Leave upon hire. All employees will accrue
one hour of Paid Sick Leave for every 30 hours worked, 
up to a maximum of 56 hours per calendar year. Employees 
do not accrue leave for payments that are not for hours 
worked, such as vacation and holiday time.

Employees begin to accrue Paid Sick Leave immediately upon
 hire and are eligible to use Paid Sick Leave upon accrual 
as needed."
 
I understand the six months wait for vacation pay, but the time off 
with a doctor's note should have been considered sick time. 
Am I wrong?

Thank you,
Martha

Here's hoping they pay me the 24 hours of vacation time when I go to Florida in 3 weeks. I really, really don't like fighting for everything (including accident reports).

I am tired. There are a myriad of ways to raise children and deal with discipline issues, and they change according to the recommendation of society. I won't go so far as to say today's parents and caretakers are doing it wrong (the verdict won't be in for 20 years or so), but I know that my way of raising kids is outdated and considered "negative" in the eyes of the younger generation. It leaves a multitude of ways to interact wrongly in a daycare setting. Every week (maybe even every day) I find myself looking the other way and silently saying "I don't even care" when a child misbehaves. I do not recognize myself when this happens.

6 comments:

  1. I really hear you on the way a lot of kids are being raised today. Everybody gets a trophy and it seems kids are the boss not the other way around.
    My Granddaughter is in her first year of teaching and they are 6th graders in a Public Charter School. That means they don't have to do some of the things that California Law says Public Schools have to abide by..ie..gender words,no discipline ..just talk things out. Covid was a disaster for those kids. They didn't know how to study, do work and even follow a schedule. Our Gov. is awful and evil as far as I'm concerned. I just don't know what's going to happen in the coming year. Sometimes Amanda (granddaughter) wants to pull her hair out for the lack of support from many of the parents and what she tries to do to create discipline and learning out of chaos.
    Another subject..hope your Dr. appts. will help you get the BP solved.
    What you wrote from the manual sounds like you are in the right. I do hope you can get it solved. Just keep looking forward to your vacation in 3 weeks.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward very much.
      The appointments went well. The doctor seems to think the blood pressure is mostly situational. I'm considering how to move forward concerning employment, but will wait to take any action until after I return home.
      Thank you for the love.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. Martha, that's not right about the sick time, jeepers. And I hear you loud and clear about the way kids are raised. Oh my goodness. I used to sing to my kids, "no means no means no means no..."they hated it, of course. I feel undermined sometimes dealing with grandkids, I tried to wash a two-year-old's hands (she was eating chocolate in my living room, putting her hands on the new couch!), she had a little wiggle fit, and her mama said, "Oh, do you just want to do it yourself and not grandma?" um, what? Sorry. I just wiped her hands anyway, like it or not. She is two years old, too bad what she likes and doesn't like, when it concerns chocolate and my couch. I love her dearly, but this attitude of letting the kids determine how things go....ugh. I'm glad the dr isn't overly concerned about the blood pressure, stress is not good for us though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The child care thing is driving me bonkers. Everything we learned is obsolete and I feel destined to be written up over and over. The other daycare was not like this. I'm ready to go get a job at Dunkin.

      Delete
  3. Martha everything seems to be different with raising kids these days. My friend has a great grandson who is not quite 2 and she has been told by her granddaughter (the mother) she is not to say “no” 😳 He is super hyperactive and she said it’s just so hard to have him around even though she loves him dearly. Truly……. such a shame. I hope you get things worked out with your boss too.

    Have a good day!

    Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

    ReplyDelete