Saturday, July 01, 2023

A Hole in One

The most difficult thing about being alone (and sometimes being married as well) is not knowing how to fill "The Hole." It appears unexpectedly tender on a Saturday morning when I have no weekend plans, or bleeding when the house is suddenly empty and I find myself alone... A huge part of healing, I have been told, is in knowing how to be alone, but I strongly suspect that even those who savor their times of solitude also look for company.

I know all about the "Jesus shaped hole" that is supposed to be filled by having a relationship with Him, but God created us to need/desire companionship. He meant for His creation to experience community. It wasn't good for Adam to be alone in the garden and he had a God from Whose Presence he had not yet fallen. All the prayer and Bible reading (if I was doing it) don't put those people in our lives. It would be nice if God would plunk the perfect person in our lap, but the truth is that doesn't happen. Only imperfect friends/companions exist and we have to go out and find them.

I will be blatantly honest, I'm not so sure church is the best place to find a partner... It's an absolutely splendid place to look for the unsuspecting if one is an abuser, controller, manipulator, predator, or any other kind of creep. This does not, of course, make everyone there any of these things. One could also be be kind, loving, generous, and Christ-like. It's just hard to tell the difference. Heck, I have a hard time telling the difference when I know what people are actually like. And in all honesty, I don't want to believe people I know and love put on "sheep's clothing" when they are actually a wolves underneath. It's a concept I cannot wrap my head around, one that makes the hole inside ache and throb even more. 

It sunny outside. There is still an air quality alert, but there is no better heart medicine than sunshine, "fresh" air, and the sound of birds singing. Staying inside to "bleed out" is not an option. I am going to be okay. I am okay. In all honesty, I am more than okay, even if there is a hole in my heart.

11 comments:

  1. I like the little hearts you show in your photos, I think God is putting them in your path to find. I am a widow of six years, married 45 years to a dear man, and now I am content living on my own. Each of us has our own journey and different hopes, and I pray you will be blessed in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Terra! I am so sorry for your loss. It is certain that we each have our own journey. I am still trying to figure out my hopes and dreams. I am blessed even if this isn't the journey I had envisioned.
      Lots of little hearts, yes.

      Delete
  2. Your ending to the post sums it up pretty good.
    You definitely are okay. Working through the pain and the aloneness isn't any where near an instant fix. It is a journey and you are well on your way. None of us is perfect and we all have our "holes"
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, sometimes I fear I will run out of time before the healing is complete, but there are many, many days when the hole does not ache or weep. It is a fascinating journey in oh so many ways.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I deleted my comment because I was responding to something you said in your reply to Sue about "Running our of time" before you heal. What did you mean by that? I probably took it the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time goes so quickly that it can feel like it is going faster than the healing, like a race against time. What I want most of all... ... ... is to be wrapped in a forever embrace, To love and be loved. To belong and be secure in the belonging. Most of all I miss having someone by my side.

      Delete
    2. I did take it wrong...I thought that can't be running out of time as in death! Glad I deleted it before you got my full sermon,,,haha. Love you "daughter" Martha. God hasn't forgotton you, in fact the Bible sells us he catches our tears in a bottle. They are precios to him.

      Delete
  5. I still have my husband of almost 51 years so I can offer nothing in the way of true solice...and I seriously don't know how I would navigate those waters if I found myself alone. I think you're brave...powerful in your abilities with lots of love for others, thrown in. I only would hope to emulate you should I suddenly wake to find myself alone...
    BIG HUG
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the hug, Donna.
      Even somewhere between six and eight years later it's a strange new world. I am eternally grateful for the friends and family who love, hug and hold me.

      Delete