Saturday, January 28, 2023

Man Haters Club and Stuff

 It's been an interesting week, which is why I shouldn't go days upon days, and weeks upon weeks without setting my thoughts to words...

Last weekend's excitement was family history and genealogical research. The short version; my sister found one maternal great, great grandmother's maiden name, along with her parents and siblings. She had been previously known as simply "Emma." Now she has a history. ---- I learned that my paternal great grandfather had a step father who died in 1938. Through this we were able to track down his mother, Augusta, and his half sister, Pauline. ---- But the biggest find was an unknown first cousin. The DNA connection twas discovered months ago but the names were unfamiliar and there were few clues to how we were related. While searching old newspapers last week, I found a news article that put the pieces together. Old newspapers are gold. My cousin passed away in 1996, but he left behind several children who are now grown. Pretty wild.

Last night my friend Dan finally made it to our Friday night pottery group, affectionately known as Man Haters Club. He threw a bowl for us and then gave us some pointers in improving our throwing skills. (I took pictures of Julie throwing a pot.) It was a great night and I feel more confident in reclaiming my ability to throw a decent bowl. Julie also invited a guy they met in early December. He mixes his own glazes and it was fun talking to him too. Even Mike, who gave us the moniker, came downstairs a couple of times.

It was a slightly different kind of Friday night, but in a totally good way. Dan, sometimes known as "the chiropractor" seemed pleased to find "there was no (man) hating." It was amusing to find the glaze mixer and a friend of my cousin both knew him from somewhere. The Glaze Guy from the pottery studio, and the friend because she had gone to high school with his daughter. It's a small world, after all...

I accomplished a few things today. Had blood drawn for a fasting blood test (appointment for a physical next Monday), had my car detailed (Yes! It's clean inside!!!), and moved my bed downstairs so we can begin the terribly frightening task of redoing my attic bedroom. It's not a monumental task (tearing out old paneling and insulation, re-insulating, and putting up new paneling) but it's one I can't do alone. It's also one I don't want to leave until summer. Now begins the arduous task of letting go of things and simplifying my life. I do not want to be owned by my possessions. I can do this, even if I did just wish for a coaster when I threw out a stack of them 3 days ago...


10 comments:

  1. That will be nice when your bedroom is redone, that sounds like a big project. I see you are enjoying throwing pots, your club has a funny name, glad to see some guys joined in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bedroom is a big project that is being done in a simple way. As simple as I can anyway. Pottery is my therapy. My cousin's husband gave us the name and it just kind of stuck, but we're totally open to having the guys join us. Maybe we'll need to adopt a new new name. Ha ha!

      Delete
  2. Downsizing is one of the hardest thing in life. Because it means to much to us, we just can't call it "stuff". We've had to downsize three times since we retired, and the biggest one is when we are no longer able to at the Villa. So far my dearest is able to manage the stairs, but he's so fraile, I don't know how long that will be. Only God knows, and I trust him for the right timing. Funny thing, our kids are not really interested in my "old things" HaHa
    Your new bedroom will be very nice, and you can decorate any way you want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I left so much behind when I moved away from the farm and I've let go of even more since, but it's time to sort through and let go of more. It's a bit heart wrenching to be honest, but at the moment I can't even find what I have kept. I'm trusting there is freedom on the other side.
      Yes, the bedroom will be much brighter and cleaner. I am looking forward to that.

      Delete
  3. Downsizing our "stuff" Memories What makes us..US...can be so hard ...Your bedroom will be so nice when you are done..good for you... Love that you are throwing posts again and I love the name.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Throwing pots is good. It is the best therapy, especially when done with friends. And bowls are always good to sell or give away. They don't have to collect in corners even though I know they will. Ha ha!

      Delete
    2. HaHa I didn't mean you were throwing "posts" again but throwing pots mud...

      Delete
    3. LOL! I knew exactly what you meant. In fact, I didn't even notice you had written "posts".

      Delete
  4. Martha it is hard getting rid of our ‘stuff’. When I remarried sold my house and moved to my husband’s, I had to get rid of lots of things. Then over the years I have purged and purged. It’s very hard to let it all go at once it seems. So I just keep letting it go little by little. Some of our grandchildren are now setting up house so I always offer it to them first. I think I’m almost there now though and it’s IS a good feeling. We had to combine 2 households of ‘stuff’ and it’s taken 17 years to get where we are. Just keep chipping away and you’ll get there at the right time for you. Your bedroom will be sooooo lovely. A nice fresh start for summer 🥰🥰

    Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, it is so hard, especially since most of what I have left is sentimental. I'm trying to sort through the stuff that is not first. I don't have much in the way of furniture and I left all of my kitchen things when I moved five and a half years ago. If, and it's a big if, I ever find someone new, I certainly don't need a dozen boxes of clutter to haul along. Yes, I am looking forward to the new bedroom. It will be so much brighter.

      Delete