Saturday, March 28, 2020

Isolation Saturday

I've really just begun this season of isolation. Not because I haven't been practicing social distancing, but because going to work at the daycare made everything seem at least partly normal. It was bittersweet leaving yesterday afternoon. There weren't supposed to be hugs, but there were...  On my way out the door, I grabbed my pay stub and a card in an envelope out of my folder. I wasn't feeling emotional until I opened my belated birthday card and started reading the little notes. "Happy Birthday, my friend..." my boss wrote, and I felt a catch in my throat. No one yet knows what the next five weeks will bring. Who will be there if and when the daycare center reopens? Only time will tell.

I was home two days this week while my car was in the shop. We took walks, baked, and did art projects, but I planned on going back to work... One day into my time off and I'm realizing I might need to make myself a loose schedule. You know, so I don't sleep until noon and wile my time away online. Ha ha! (I laugh, but I'm serious too.)

I stayed in bed too long this morning and missed my walk with the family. When they came home to eat breakfast, I had already eaten two bowls of Cheerios, so I didn't eat eggs. It was late morning when I pulled some clay out of the bag and sat at the dining room table fashioning a couple balls of mud into dogs. Idris was very interested in what I was doing. I gave him a piece of clay to smoosh.  Later, after he had taken his nap, we made a construction paper bear to put in our window, just in case any of the neighbors are playing the Bear Hunt Game.

We sat around and watched some documentaries and looked at our digital devices this afternoon. The snacks we baked earlier in the week have been devoured, and our bodies are craving sugar. We had sloppy joes for dinner, and then we went for our evening walk to the village and back again. It's been a gray, lazy kind of day.

Oh, yes! We did have some family members stop by to drop off some items. We tried to keep a safe distance, but not hugging the son I haven't seen in weeks was impossible. I couldn't resist a hug.

4 comments:

  1. Love everything about your New Normal.
    What a cute idea to put the Bear in the window for the Bear Hunt..I love it.
    You seem to be making the most of a crazy time.
    We are too.
    Our daughter in law is always checking on us to see if we need anything. Makes my heart warm.
    Watched church on line this morning...that felt good too.
    I sure miss getting together though.
    Enjoy your family...hugs and all !!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing the best I can. I just need a kid or two to inspire me.
      :0)

      Delete
  2. I guess being retired has it's benefits as we stay home a lot. But just knowing you can't get out gets a bit cabin feverish. We will get out tomorrow morning as we take Don to PIH Whitter to get the new pacemaker.
    You are handling your in time wisely. Cute clay figures and sweet grandkids. Our two grandson in the medical field are on the front lines. I pray for their safety. Kaleb at the hospital, and Elijah in the nursing home. What a crazy world we live in now..and I just heard the lockdown is not to the end of April!!

    ReplyDelete