Thursday, May 24, 2012

S is for Swing


S is for swing, tire swing.

It was a beautiful evening; sun shining, gentle breeze, perfect temperature. I thought about going outside. I thought about the old tractor tire swing that once hung from a Silver Maple branch down behind the barn out back and I missed it. It would have been the prefect spot for Hannah and me to go after dinner. Years back another daughter and I would spend a few after supper moments swinging gently and talking, enjoying the evening air.

Made from a tractor tire and big enough for not-quite-grown-up children to climb inside, wide enough for a pile of kids to swing on, and always a destination point for children. One day I went to find my daughter and nieces out back. It looked as though only Hannah was there, pushing the swing and playing alone, until I took a closer look. Two cousins were tucked inside the tire for a ride.

With the acquisition of a sawmill and the accumulation of large logs, the tire swing destination became a little dangerous. My children grew up and time stretched the ropes until the rubber nearly met the ground. The tree branch was worn and so was the hardware that held the tire aloft. My husband decided it was too great a risk and took the old tire down.

I still like a gentle ride on a swing, but the tire swing will remain but a memory of fun days past. I am instead looking forward to hanging my old Rocking Chair Swing from the branch of the Weeping Birch outside my kitchen window. I think it will be fun for both little ones and old people. :)


For more ABC Wednesday fun, click here.

7 comments:

  1. Great story and shots. I love the shot of the old tire swing that just shows the feet of the children tucked inside. Carver ABC-Wed. Team

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever, those kids!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for a swing. I still like swings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just "a-swingin'"
    my 8trac brain is still singin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh love that story and the pictures and memories. I love the way you can tell a story and have been thinking about the stories in my life...SO

    Making some changes.

    Martha...I deleted my fb account, deleted my Art Blog, and going to put more effort into a new blog called Got a Minute or Two where I'm going to share short stories of my life ~ the good, bad, ugly, tears and joys...check it out
    http://gotaminuteortwo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots and I love swings. Not sure I would ever curl up in a tire swing, although it must be a very cool feeling. Dirty, possibly,but cool.

    ReplyDelete