Wednesday, May 30, 2012

T is for Truth

T is for "truth". 

“A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still putting on its shoes”

Mark Twain


The truth is that some people think the truth is their own interpretation of any given situation. Truth is often hidden and seldom told in full. Truth is often lost in facts and yet is made up of them. Leaving out a fact or two, or even rearranging events, can turn truth into a lie.

I looked up the definition of truth on Merrium-Webster's online dictionary and found this amidst the definitions, "a judgment, proposition, or idea that is true or accepted as true". I guess my question is, how is something actually true when it only takes acceptance of its being true to make it so? (I am grappling with my own set of truth and lies today...) If one party believes something to be true and yet another party knows it not to be so, are there two truths? 

I think not.


For more ABC Wednesday fun, click here.

7 comments:

  1. haha.. oh yes! And once someone is positive they believe the truth, it can be impossible to show that it was really a lie that they believed! Sigh.

    I love the picture of you...and that really is the truth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the photo of you. Your eyes have a haunting expression of searching for the truth. I do think that, sometimes, there can be different truths for different people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think, Black Jack's Carol, that people can believe different things, but there is still only one truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shot of you. Very thought provoking post. Carver ABC-Wed. Team

    ReplyDelete
  5. as a data guy, I get very frustrated with opinion posing as fact.
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Betsy, I love that picture of you and your deep thinking pose...

    I love that I can trust the Bible to be TRUE! People, sometimes it's hard to tell what is and what isn't...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Truth is an interesting T-word. What is truth? Hmmm. Wars are fought over that.

    ReplyDelete