Friday, October 29, 2010

Seeing Dad

It's kind of funny what watching one's own children grow up will do. I begin to see my own parents looking back at me through them. This time it was my father peering out at me from behind Nate's eyes. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there he is, not in whole, but in part.

Once upon a time my father was young and in love. His hair was blond, his body young and strong, his heart full of hopes and dreams. Mom's "Music Man" was just starting out in life, a guitar or harmonica a constant companion. He had no idea where life would take him or how long the journey would last.

Nate and Sabrina are just beginning their adventure. There will be obstacles along the way, just like there were for Mom and Dad. They will need our love and encouragement as they travel the road. My dad missed the opportunity to really meet Sabrina and get to know her, but I know how he would have responded because Dad loved each one who crossed his path. He knew how to make everyone feel special. Maybe one day I too will learn how to fill a tiny part of those shoes Dad left behind and as I learn I will enjoy finding him in the lives and faces of my family as well.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful Martha. So touching, so true!
    I cand see the resemblance too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it.
    Very sweet.
    My dad died when I was 25. I love when I catch a glimpse of him in a child. I am glad you are seeing it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emotions are welling for me too Aunt Rachel...

    This is a nice post Mom. Nate really does look like Grandpa doesn't he? Funny how we can compare Sabrina to Grandma too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very bittersweet, isn't it?

    What a beautiful young couple...such a fun time in life!

    ReplyDelete