Tuesday, October 12, 2010

ABC Wednesday- Letter M

M is for Mom. Mom is the word.

She was there long before my heart started beating and dreamed of me even before I took my first breath. She has always been there to calm my fears, to whisper in my ear, to wrap me tight and warm in her arms. She held me close and yet taught me how to stand. She took my hand when I was unsteady and walked along. She dried my tears and cried along with me. She gave me direction, encouraged me along the way, and answered many questions. Though I didn't always understand, she always had my best interest at heart. She applauded my successes, grieved over my failures, and forgave my offenses. She hasn't always known what to do or how to respond, but she has always loved me. She is my mom.

Through the years she has remained constant. There have been times when I have become angry and frustrated with her, and others when she has been my best friend and confidant. She has misunderstood and been misunderstood. She has prayed for me and offered guidance. Now the years have taken her youth, turned her hair gray, and left her tethered to an oxygen tank. Last year they took her best friend and left her a widow. She often asks the same question several times and finds it hard to remember little details. I don't always know what to do or how to respond, but I do know I love her. She is my mom.

To see the other participants in the new round of ABC Wednesday, click here!

9 comments:

  1. This is a lovely tribute to your Mom. Aging is so difficult sometimes. Its good to remember the best and just love on her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful the love between mother and daughter over the years, and years, and years.

    This was such a touching tribute Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww.. so pretty people... mom and daughter bonding...

    God bless you both.

    Have a nice time! My ABC Wednesday Here

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's the best! We have been blessed to have her as our mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely tribute to your mum. You were lucky to have her support and now she is lucky to have yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. and what a wonderful Mom you have:-) I am sure she is such a huge part of why you are the wonderful mother you are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful words for your mom. Now I missed my mom, she passed away 11 years ago. Happy Wednesday!
    ABC Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely tribute, ageing is a tough business.

    ReplyDelete