Tuesday, October 19, 2010

ABC Wednesday- Letter N

N is for New; New Mexico. (Not to be confused with Texas or Arizona...)

I was raised in upstate New York a few miles from the southern shore of Lake Ontario, so when I got married and moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico, I found myself in somewhat of a culture shock. To my husband it was home, to me everything was new.

Though there were no language barriers, there were still many new experiences for me in the six months I lived so far from my own family. New Mexico is desert with cacti and tumble weeds. Most trees are short and stubby. Front yards consist of stone, rock, and dirt unless there is an sprinkler system installed. Most houses are one story and covered in stucco. The residents dine on a seeming constant diet of chile peppers; red and green. Tortillas are a staple, and restaurants serve sopapillas with the meal instead of rolls.

Although we haven't lived there for many years (We have been back in NY since Christmas of 1981), I have come to love New Mexico too. I love the chile, I love the cacti, I love the mountains. And I love the family from New Mexico who became mine so many years ago.

To see the other participants in the new round of ABC Wednesday, click here!

14 comments:

  1. That is quite a change from New Mexico to upstate NY.

    BTW in your last paragraph you have a Mew Mexico... my computer does that to me all the time.

    Love and Hugs
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. My ABC Wednesday is early because a friend put hers up early and I got confused. I am a little bit blond and distracted besides. (Hannah told me today was not Wednesday.)

    I fixed the typo. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun post for the N Day! Glad you've adjusted to New Mexico -- it is a considerable change from New York, but it is a great place! I was born in Texas and visited New Mexico frequently and I now live in Seattle and that was quite a change, too. But I love it here, would never want to live anywhere else! Hope you have a great week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was quite a change, but, so nice that you adjusted and came to love New Mexico and its different food choices. And most of all that you came to love the family and friends. As the old saying goes: "Home is where the heart is."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post for the letter N. I've never been to New Mexico but it's somewhere I've wanted to visit. Maybe one of these days I will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New Mexico has always been on the route to somewhere else, but I've appreciated its particular kind of beauty, and I am not surprised that you have acclimated so well. I'll admit that sometimes when we have eaten in a New Mexico restaurant that I have been taken by surprise by the hot chilies!

    A fine post for N day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As an upstate NY kid (born in Binghamton, living in Albany), I can only imagine the culture shock. Good for you in pulling it off.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dad was born in Hadyen New Mexico.
    Was there until he turned 16. I like it there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice tribute to the different places you lived. I can believe it was culture shock.
    Both are wonderful in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. inviting place to visit.
    Thanks for introducing us to a new culture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've truly enjoyed my visits to New Mexico and surely agree - it's a state unlike New York. :) Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, yes, I'll bet it was culture shock. I've been to New York and these photos are not it.
    I've always wanted to visit New Mexico. It is 'way up there near the top of my list. Closest I've been is Arizona, which is not the same thing, although it's a great place.
    New Mexico, here I come as soon as I can.
    Thanks for sharing your photos.

    Kay, Alberta (desert, with cactus, but no sopapillas)

    ReplyDelete
  13. America is like so many countries together, the landscape and people are so different.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely photos. I went from upstate NY to Ky to Colorado. Quite a change getting used to that desert/mountain topography!

    Donna - ABC Wednesday

    ReplyDelete