Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Baking Day

It was a beautiful morning at the bus stop. It's almost too bad I had to put the girls on the bus as it would have been a wonderful day to go out gallivanting. The sun was bright and the temperatures comfortable, but I had no time to run about in the sunshine today. I had plans.

My Little Guy waved good bye to the bus as he does every morning and we headed back in the house. It was another pie making day and Bethany would be arriving before too long. While we waited I had some breakfast, made a pot of coffee, and set up the kitchen. Little Guy ate a couple of graham crackers.

Bethany arrived a little after 10 am, just after Hannah left to clean a house with Leta. (No Lucas and Simon today, they stayed home with their daddy.) We got right to work peeling, slicing, and spicing apples. When the bowls were full we started on the crusts. I mixed crust, Bethany rolled and assembled.

We made eighteen pies, all but two were apple. We baked six pies, four apple, a pumpkin, and a squash pie (special order). In the midst of the baking and assembling, Hannah returned home and my girls came back from school. We fed four children lunch, Hannah read them some stories, and they all went down for a nap. By 3:30 pm Bethany was wrapping pies to deliver or freeze. Would you believe there is not one pie left in my house tonight? Phew!

7 comments:

  1. Love the way you crimp your crust! Just beautiful, and I know the taste as good as they look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is Bethany's crimping. She does a beautiful job, doesn't she? Pretty little pies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany isn't supposed to make a prettier apple pie than me, I'm older. ;)

    I love the picture of Andrew waving to the bus, so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! You are funny Aunt Rachel. :) And thanks Mom and Wanda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my, that's a lotta pie!!
    And they're so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Wanda! I was thinking that same thing. I would like to work on having a better-looking crust for my pies:-) Does Bethany travel for teaching purposes??

    Whew, what a day you had!!! I am so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bethany might travel for you, Heather.

    ReplyDelete