Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Apples in My Eye

The apple trees are gradually being relieved of their burdens. On Sunday afternoon James and I went for a short walk back behind our house. We hadn't gone far when we noticed we had company. Jasmine our wayward, three-legged dog was hobbling down the road behind us. She spends more time away from home now than she does with us. She is not pleased with the fluffy white addition who came to live with us over two years ago and has found herself a "home away from home" down the road. Though I don't worry about her like I once did, her difficulty in getting around as she ages is a concern. She can on longer easily manage long grass and once we got off the dirt road she fell on her face repeatedly. James finally took pity on her and carried her up the hill and back to the road. Yesterday she decided she had put up with Sofie long enough and went back to Martin's house.

The apple orchards surrounding our house are a great incentive to get out there and buy apples (or pick a few). I think I bought a few too many and may have to convince Bethany to use some of mine in her pie making, fundraiser endeavors. I've already baked two pies of my own this week, one yesterday and one today, and they are just impossible for me to resist eating though I do eat the "diet" version, the one with no ice cream.

8 comments:

  1. Those apples look delicious. We were given a load of apples last week so I picked some blackberries and made a blackberry and apple crumble. We did enjoy it (with ice-cream). I have frozen some blackberries to see us through winter. I was interested to read about your little dog and her adopted new home. Glad of some peace and quiet I suppose! A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Anne, I guess she does appreciate the peace and quiet. I do have to feel a bit bad for her though. And then again maybe she is making somebody else smile and keeping them company. I think Martin lives alone, well except for Jazz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sofie gets all excited when Jazz comes home, and then she takes over the spots where Jazz likes to lay, like on the rug in front of the wood stove. Sof doesn't ever lay on the rug in front of the stove unless Jasmine is home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, you twisted my arm! I'll use some of your apples!

    (Thanks Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps I have missed something, but why would you buy apples when the orchards are loaded??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because the orchard doesn't belong to us. We love to walk there and the farmer doesn't mind. We don't wish to cause him reason to suspect us.

    ReplyDelete