Sunday, October 03, 2010

Missing of the Miracle

I missed the miracle, but assume it occurred sometime yesterday when the sun was bright, the air a touch warmer than today, and the wind less boisterous. I have yet to witness firsthand the birth of a monarch, the one where a butterfly emerges from the chrysalis, and it is slightly disconcerting to me that I missed this particular butterfly's appearance.

"... when summer is over and temperatures drop drastically, a special generation of Monarch Butterflies is born; this new group will have to assume the titanic mission of traveling to Mexico, to warmer latitudes so they can hibernate, feed, mate, and then travel back home. This different kind of Monarch is known as the Methuselah generation."

Today the chrysalis is but a papery leftover twirling in the wind, a sign that life goes on and another Monarch generation is headed for the mountains of Mexico. Maybe I didn't miss the miracle after all.

5 comments:

  1. Love the way you have told us the ending of the story of your butterfly...It would be fun to actually witness the birth...but you are right...the miracle is still there in the empty cocoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel bad that you missed it, but maybe next year! I have been blessed with watching about 20 hatchings in years past , but for some reason, for the past 2 years, I have not been able to find any caterpillars (I believe something is eating the eggs). I have a huge area of milkweed behind my house, & 3 yrs. ago I had 10 at one time in my aquarium. It is such an awesome transformation process to watch & it all happens in a very short time (depending on how big the caterpillars are when you find them). I noticed many beetles, & snails on the milkweed this year, & I think they may have been the culprits! Well....we know at least one is making the trek to Mexico this year! Thanks for sharing! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often miss life's fleeting moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always wanted to see a butterfly leave its chrysalis, too. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete