Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Pies in My Eyes

Many pies have come and gone. In the past three weeks my kitchen table has seen probably thirty pies. Most of them have been wrapped securely and carried out the door, but a few have stayed to be enjoyed by us.

Today, after my girls climbed on the school bus, I put on a pot of coffee (decaf, of course), and began the task of peeling and slicing apples. Bethany arrived soon after I started, and we proceeded to mix and assemble pies. There were apple pies (of course), elderberry pies, blueberry pies, and even a couple of peach pies. Most of it went along with no trouble, but I did manage to burn a pot of elderberry filling. At the end of the day I had two pumpkin pies wafting their goodness through my house. One is still here, purchased by Ben and Hannah. I hope they'll share a piece...

I must admit I scarcely feel as though I really completed any pie making today. It must have been the house full of "foliage" that kept me slightly distracted. There were squabbles to be settled, snacks to be distributed, noses to be wiped, and a bottle to be held. While Bethany took Ben to his class I fed little "flowers" their lunch, changed a diaper or two, read a couple of stories, and kissed a few foreheads. Everyone got a nap today except for my "sleepless one." His mother came and took him out of bed and home for a nap instead. Bethany really did most of the work. She rolled every pie crust and put together every pie. She is a master pie maker. I wonder where she got it?

5 comments:

  1. Um, make that two mistakes. Pumpkin pie should have sugar or it doesn't taste quite right... (Sorry Ben and Hannah.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dear...:-)
    I'd like to watch you make those "pies in a jar"! It would be a great idea for the Soldiers in Afghanistan! (the jars would have to be sealed though). :) Too bad there's no such thing as "bowl like" canning jars...it would be easier to make pies in a bowl!!! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sugarless pumpkin pie...poor Ben and Hannah, and poor you too. You and Bethany are quite the production workers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well maybe you have just invented the weight watcher pumpkin pie!!


    You are Bethany are pie making machines...would love to see that dough being rolled out, and pies put together.... what a picture that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We made 14 (or 15?) pies on Wednesday. That makes a total of 33 pies made together. That doesn't include the five pumpkin I made last Saturday. Or the seven pumpkin I plan to make tomorrow.

    You can pray for me... I am tired and getting grouchy. I need a good night's sleep.

    ReplyDelete