Saturday, October 16, 2010

Feeding Frenzy

On Thursday morning when the girls got on the school bus, I was left with two little boys. Ben was gone to work, so Hannah and I decided to visit the farm market. We took the boys to our favorite fall place and Hannah made sure to bring along plenty of quarters so we could feed our friends.

My little guy wasn't nervous about feeding the animals. He thought it was great fun. I helped him flatten out his hand and keep his fingers straight, but these animals are so gentle that I don't worry much either, and all the animals come up to the fence looking for a handout; sheep, goats, donkeys, even the deer.

I was surprised to find some new friends at Powers Farm Market this year, a pair of alpacas. They look very much like baby llamas, but I think they are probably better behaved or they wouldn't be out where children are encouraged to feed them. Josh thought they were pretty cool too.

In the past we have typically spent a very relaxed day wandering about, feeding the animals, looking in the store, braving the giant tee pee, and musing over pumpkins. Sometimes we visit the fish hatchery or pick up a box of fried cakes and a gallon of apple cider, and spend a leisurely day enjoying the outdoors, but we needed to be home for the girls and so we cut our visit short. We did however, take a moment to stop on the way home for a few fried cakes and a gallon of cider which we shared with Grandma before heading home.

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful Grandma you are, Martha! I am taking notes so someday I will be, too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've run out of my own little people and now I have to borrow them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandsons would love to visit your neck of the woods, and do and go with you on your field trips... As a matter of fact... I want to go too....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just passing through, saw your post on "18 Under..." blog. Love this blog! I read all the way back into September and love your energy and obvious love for people, family, etc. Your photography is so cool and analagies and philosophies are so inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are 'fried cakes'? I want to go too............sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fried cakes are little cake-like doughnuts. Sometimes they are "glazed" and sometimes they are plain. Good with apple cider.

    Thanks for stopping by, Darla. It's always nice to meet new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like so much fun! We have a farm/orchard/petting barn very close to us just like that.

    Cider sounds wonderful! I haven't bought any yet!

    ReplyDelete