Friday, October 15, 2010

Twenty-Seven

Today is my son's twenty-seventh birthday. (He is the one with the frog... and I think he was seven at the time.) It has been a rough week for us, but I pray that things are getting better. Being a parent continually presents new challenges and opportunities for both failure and success, for pride and disappointment in both our own selves and our children. I have had to take a giant step backward and reevaluate my own heart this week and found myself severely lacking.

In spite of our trouble, and the fact that he is working both tonight and tomorrow and has plans on Sunday, I decided to make him a pie. I rolled and pinched the crust and wrapped it in plastic wrap and foil, mixed all the ingredients for pumpkin filling except evaporated milk, sealed it in a bag, and delivered it it to his home to be mixed, baked, and eaten. We might not be together this time around, but at least he has his pie. I can't let a birthday go by without pie.

Happy Birthday, Dave.
I love you.

5 comments:

  1. You never stop parenting... I'm tearing as I read and type this as yesterday, I spend the day with one of my daughters who is 47 and who is going through a ton of hurt right now.

    Taking the pie to be mixed and baked is just the sweetest thing for his birthday. I love you sweet Martha, and say prayers for you and your family... please say one for my daughter..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Good Mama! hard to be so open and I hope that helps heal your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet. I second what Wanda said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry it's been a rough week. Unconditional love...that's what he needs! :)

    Love the pie idea. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry things have been so difficult, Martha. I am hoping next week is a much better week for all of you. Happy Birthday David!!

    ReplyDelete