Saturday, October 02, 2010

Saturday

The morning was bright and sunny with a bit of a nip in the air. It was tough to decide what to do on my only full free day of the week. This time of year I begin to panic as I realize just how few bright, sunny days are left before the long winter sets in. I tossed four 20 ounce apples in a bag and headed to Mom's house. It is my mother who years ago taught me how to make pie. She was pretty particular about how to make the crust and I have found it wise to follow her instructions without question. Mom also always used 20 ounce apples in her pies and so I have done the same.

I had Mom help me peel the apples. I cut them into slices and mixed up the filling while Mom measured flour for the crust. When the shortening was cut in, I added water to the dough, rolled it out, and put the pie together. Half an hour later the aroma of baking pie filled her house as we worked on a puzzle together. I left without cutting the pie but I do know it was enjoyed with vanilla ice cream this evening.

Tonight, after making pizza for my family, I whipped up another apple pie. It's in the kitchen cooling right now and my house is smelling quite yummy too.

Auntie Martha's pie making slide show can be seen here.

5 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I have not made an apple pie yet, but think I am going to whip up some apple crisp tomorrow. It happens to be one of my favorite people's favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had apple pie tonight too. I made a really yummy one today...even made my own crust! We took it over to Dave's parents to share with them. I'm going to make another one tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. harrumph!
    I have no Idea what a 20 ounce apple is.
    I agree on the apple crisp Heather.

    Not having the mysterious 20 ounce apple I fear my pie would not hold up to standards.

    love you Martha ;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy, there are plenty of apples that make wonderful pies, I just can't remember what they are. One of the best things about the 20 ounce apple is it's size. I only have to peel and cut 3-4 apples for each pie.

    ReplyDelete