Friday, February 19, 2010

Auntie Martha's Pie Making Class



This is how my mom taught me to make a pie. I honestly haven't tried anything too fancy. Simple pies are some of the best, especially fresh fruit pies in season. I use Crisco because I have found cheap shortenings hard to work with, and I add water just one tablespoon full at a time and stir it with a fork. Why? Because Mom said to and it works. When I divide my dough for a two crust pie, I make the ball for the top crust slightly smaller than the bottom. I dampen the edge of the bottom crust before placing the top one and make sure the edges are sealed up. It's always a good idea to place your baking pie on some kind of a tray to prevent messes in the oven unless you don't mind the beeping of the smoke detector.

1-CRUST PASTRY

1½ c flour
½ t. salt
½ c. shortening
4-5 T cold water

Stir flour and salt together. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add water one tablespoon at a time stirring lightly with a fork. Add only as much water as is needed to gather dough together in a ball. Roll on lightly floured surface. Place in pie plate, roll and crimp edges before adding filling.

To bake unfilled pie crust, prick bottom and sides will with a fork. Bake in very hot oven (450°) for 10-12 minutes or until golden


TWO-CRUST PASTRY

2 c. flour
½ t. salt
⅔ c. shortening
5-7 T. cold water

Make as one crust pastry dividing ball of dough in half before rolling. Roll on lightly floured surface. Place in pie plate, add filling and top with second crust. Crimp edges together and bake as directed.

Just had to add a photo of the finished product. (Thanks, Priscilla!)

14 comments:

  1. Clap, Clap, Clap ~~ I am aplauding your slice show. This was great.

    Two things that I loved in my life, nursing my babies, and making pie crust. They have nothing to do with each other, except, both brought me pleasure!

    I love to eat raw pie crust too....dipped in the sugar bowl.

    OK, so now you know how wierd I really am!!!!

    I think I need to go make a pie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda, we all secretly love raw pie crust. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks again for the pie! The love goes on...read my post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martha, that pie is a work of art. It makes me want to head out into the kitchen. (or drive up to your house!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Della, any time you want to visit, I'll be here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Priscilla is SO lucky! Loved the slide show! My crust recipe is almost identical if you replace the crisco for butter. Homemade pie is the best! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS...love your crimping pattern..it's so pretty on an angle like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kudos to you for making your own crusts.

    I cheat - Pillsbury Pie Crusts rolled up in a box from the grocery store. Never had any complaints, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom always used the butter flavored Crisco though...
    I wish my pies turned out as pretty as yours always do. I guess I need to practice more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I have to go read Priscilla's post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh I kind of want to make a pie now! Except I have one counter that MIGHT be big enough to roll dough on, and it has a coffee maker and a toaster on it. Maybe at the next place. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Jim! Fancy seeing you here. Where have you been and what has happened to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can I just have you make me one? Seriously, I can't make a tender pie crust to save my life.

    For some reason, I am thinking of you today. Hope you are okay. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christine, I would love to make a pie for you... if only I was closer.

    Thank you for your thoughts. I am doing okay.

    ReplyDelete