Sunday, September 30, 2007

Angelica

Yesterday Priscilla and I took a drive down to the town of Angelica, NY where many of our ancestors once lived. We had lunch in a wonderful little coffee house and visited with a couple of local residents. Angelica is described as "a town where history lives". It is an old fashioned town, I'm not sure there are any new buildings in the center of town. We arrived to find that this weekend was the Harvest festival in the park. The park is located in the circle in the center of town and is surrounded by historic buildings.

We visited Until the Day Dawn cemetery and found the gravestones of both our great-grandparents as well as the headstones of some great- great- great-grandparents.

The house, where Great Grandma lived with Uncle Leo and Timothy the cat, still stands on Main Street. Priscilla was rather dismayed at its appearance. My curiosity got the better of me this afternoon and I looked up real estate in Angelica. I was surprised to find Grandma's house for sale as there was no sign out yesterday. It is a multi-family dwelling which may account for the fact that it is not so grand as others in the area. What fun it would be to take a tour or even buy the house and fix it up... Hey Priscilla, didn't you say you wanted to open a gift shop?

11 comments:

  1. Interesting. I think I like it right here. I remember going to visit great grandma at that house. I also remember her cat, and looking for 4 leaf clovers in her backyard. Now everyone that was there is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat!! What an interesting house and story. What are your's and Pricilla's memories?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Click the "great grandma" link in my post and you will find some of my old memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that great Grandma was not a good housekeeper at all. Her house was very cluttered. I remember being amazed at the amount of stuff laying around and the dust! When I looked at the pictures on the real estate page I was pleased to see how clean and neat it is! But things were eerily familiar. I remember the arches and the fireplace and the front doors and stairway.

    That sun porch! Wow! I remember it being chuck full of junk and impossible to sit in. It looks cute set up like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never said anything about a gift shop. But I think a B&B might be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so neat that you girls take field trips together. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Grandma must have been well into her 80's by the time we were visiting. I'm not sure I could keep a clean house at 80 something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. True...but I remember that most of them had pretty messy houses. I must get it from them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Priscilla, you do not have a messy house. (at least not when I see it) I don't remember anyone's house there except for great grandma's. I remember thinking it was neat that she had the same wood burning stove as us, but ours was black and hers needed polish or cleaning or something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's funny that some of you are remembering messy houses. I remember things like that too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wouldn't it be neat to have that old house back in the family? Looks like a neat place. Wish I could've gone too, but I had to work.

    ReplyDelete