Monday, September 17, 2007

Monday, Monday

Today is Monday. Monday and homeschooling do not get along. For all those out there who feel as though you could never homeschool, most of us who do feel the same way. We worry whether we are teaching our kids what they really need to know. We worry that the school system won't be satisfied. We wonder whether it is okay to take the kids out to the store on Tuesday afternoon. We fend off questions from those who ask, "No school today?" and "What about socialization?" We walk a thin line with family members who choose to send their children to public schools. We choose to have our children home because we feel it is the better choice, not necessarily because we "want" to. Most of us are well aware that teaching our kids at home will not "save" them. We deal with rebellious children too. Sometimes the pressures of every day life tempt us to put our kids in school, but instead we keep plodding on... There are times when it seems as if the job will never be finished. There are times when we want to run away. There are times when we have to put the school books on the shelf and escape for the day. And then there are the good days, days when the rewards are great and it is worth the effort afterall.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Martha, I take my hat off to you! My daughter-in-law Chelenne home schooled my two grandsons Kaleb and Elijah up to 5th grade. I good see so much good coming from that. She also used a Christian based curriculum. Her boys learned much more than an education. They are police, well mannered ((but of course still boys)). I will always love her for giving my grandchildren that start!!! They are now doing very well in public school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, yes, doing home schooling is nice and probably the thing to do in this day and age. At least you have some controls the public school lacks or cannot adopt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humm, if ya take Monday off, does Tuesday be come the new Monday? Good explaination of home schooling pros and cons. The job of raising and educating children is never finished, there is always something more you will need to share, teach, preach. It's just when they leave home we call it "advice". :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you had a great day in spite of all the thoughts invading your mind. Your older kids seem to be doing just fine in spite of being home schooled. Lol! I'm sure the others are coming right along too. They all seem like wonderful kids to me! You are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admire you for doing it!
    I am sure you are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally feel your pain. I struggle with the kids in public school and pray that I can homeschool. I am thankful for your insight!

    ReplyDelete