Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A Slower Pace

Yesterday I was doing a boogie and today is a little bit more of a shuffle. I don't think I could ever pull off two days in a row like yesterday, besides I need to rest up today for the marathon I will be running this weekend. Jim's birthday/ going away gathering is this Saturday and I'm sure to be busy baking pies (likely Thursday or Friday) and cooking up a big pot of chili. The family will be here along with a bunch of friends, stop by if you can and say hello (or good bye). Actually, I'm trying not to think too much about Jim's leaving and instead remembering that he won't more than a phone call away. It's just too easy for a mom to get emotional and I don't want to cry again. I want to send him off with a hug and a smile instead.

The corn fields here are slowly disappearing and the pumpkins are showing up on front porches. I didn't plant any corn myself this year, no pumpkins either, so I may have to go in search of some fall decorations sometime soon. My usual thing is to wait until there isn't much left to chooose from. I just plain don't like spending the money but I do love how pretty they look. With a party here this weekend, I might have enough incentive to actually do it.

7 comments:

  1. My grandma use to call pondering 'weed gathering". I think weed gathering is a great pastime. And speaking of weeds, go gather a few of those corn stocks and tie them together, have the kids do a project, research scare crows and build one for your porch. Don't I have all the great ideas I won't do but can suggest to others?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have all the great ideas! A few years ago we had a rather sad looking scarecrow sitting out front by our mailbox. The kids named him Mr. Peterson. When the snow started to fly, we hauled him into the barn where his presence startled me a few weeks later. I wasn't used to strange characters living or hanging out in my barn. He spent he winter in the barn and in the spring took a job with the trash company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every year I want to get pots of mums...but every fall the same thing happens. We always seem to be tight in the budget around then....so the mums get forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are always so busy! I guess that comes from having a big family! But it will keep you young!!
    Nice photograph. (as always)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you deserved a slower day after the one you had before. I will certainly be thinking and praying for all of you and for Jimmy as he heads out. I hope the party goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Martha,
    Just take it easy Martha before the marathon, you need that.

    You have my support girl GO!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your narative on this one Martha. I can just feel your words as I look at the picture. I think I saw the corn stocks swaying. I will buy pumpkins for my porch this weekend.

    ReplyDelete