Wednesday, May 17, 2006

A Double Blessing


My great grandma Shafer had a happy face and smiling eyes. She was born in 1882 and it was said that her roots went all the way back to the Mayfower. At the age of eighteen, she was married to a man twice her age and together they raised eleven children, seven girls and four boys. Her third child was my grandma, my father's mom. The family lived on a farm up in the hills of Allegany county. By the time I was born, Great Grandma was 81 years old. As a child, I remember her living in town with Uncle Leo and an orange cat named Timothy.

I remember visiting Grandma's home as a little girl, and being filled with wonder. The house was old and smelled of must and natural gas. It seemed big and mysterious, with a curved staircase to the mostly deserted upper floor. I was filled with curiosity and longed to explore, but didn't quite have the courage to brave the unknown rooms alone. Most of our visits were spent in the dining room where there was an old wood burning stove. While Mom and Dad visited with Grandma and Uncle Leo, I would study the old furniture and photographs and peek into Grandma's bedroom. Her slippers were always side by side under her bed. Outside we watched the chickens in their pen by the garage and searched for four-leaf clovers in the backyard. We played in the dry fall leaves that dropped from the huge old trees that lined the street. Grandma once showed me a spearmint plant that grew by the back steps. When it was time to go home, we would hug her good bye. She was soft and smelled sweet, like a Great Grandma.

As I grow older, I wonder more and more about these people who gave me my heritage. Who passed on their love of flowers or children? Did someone back there love to read or draw pictures? When I look in the mirror I see little glimpses of people long passed on. Where did I get my nose and eyes? Who left me my hair color or the ability to see without glasses? Where did I get this double chin? Ahh, Great Grandma, there it is on you! You've always had such a pretty, smiling face. I barely noticed the chin. If this is one of your gifts to me, I'll thank you, and wear it with a smile.

5 comments:

  1. You're so funny! I remember the smell of her house, her cat, and searching for 4 leaf clovrs in the backyard, but not much else. Oh yeah... the ride out there was greuling! It seemed to me like it took forever to get there and back home again. I used to wonder why she would want to live all the way out there, I even kinda felt sorry for her that she did. Isn't that silly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember minding the ride out there. I loved driving through the country side, but I was always glad to arrive at our desintation too. It did seem that Grandma lived far away from everything, but it was nice, kind of like visiting another era. I also loved going to Uncle Joe's house. Maybe I'll save that for future blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've definitely inherited the double chin thing too. No fair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday Jessi and I went to vist my grandparents! :) We had a good time a learned a little more about them as they shared some of their memories with us. It does amaze me how little I know of them! And often it doesn't hit us until it's too late and then the stories are gone for good....

    ReplyDelete