Friday, September 28, 2007

The Babysitter Test

It's been a funny day, a little sun, a little rain, a little more sun, a little more rain... We went for a short orchard walk this morning while the sun was shining. The grass was just starting to dry out and it looked like it would be a beautiful day. Ten minutes after we returned home, the thunder started.

I took Nate out to Newark for a doctor appointment this afternoon and left Troy in the charge of Ben and Hannah. James was here too so there was an adult on the premises. Hannah was making cookies and Ben was upstairs giving Ellie a bath when Troy went into the bathroom. I guess he had been in there quite a while when somebody decided to check on him. There he was, trying to clean up the mess he had made on the toilet seat, not being very successful, and crying softly "I want my mommy..."

Ahh, the "Babysitter Test"! Hannah excused herself from clean-up duty by claiming it would "contaminate" the cookies. Somebody decided since Ben was already upstairs in the other bathroom, that's where Troy should be too. Lucky Ben! Ben stood Troy in the shower and said, "You know what happens now, don't you? You wait for Martha to get home." Well, by the time I got home Troy was asleep, shirtless, on the couch. I knew something was up because the laundry was going, the bathroom window was opened, and there was a line of "doo doo" on the underside of the toilet seat. I made a quick deduction and came to the conclusion that the "Babysitter Test" had been administered. All things considered, they didn't do too bad.

6 comments:

  1. This made me laugh. Poor Troy, he must've felt so lost and embarrassed without you there. So I take it Ben cleaned him up and threw the dirty things in the laundry, after James decided that it was Ben's job to take care of. (After all, Hannah couldn't contaminate those cookies. Lol!) I'll bet none of them will forget this day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made my day!! I giggled till I sputtered!
    Poor Troy boy, must it have been a traumatic event for him though.
    Great Babysitter Test. I would have never passed when I was Ben and Hannahs age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really sure who passed and who failed. I think it was a group effort as Hannah says she did end up helping Troy with the shower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a funny story! Poor little Troy, but definitely a good test for the babysitters! (I am glad the cookies didn't get contaminated.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, I think I'm missing some of the story... Troy got all poopy? Poopy enough to need a shower? Was he trying to clean it up with his shirt? Poor kid... And to be stuck with Ben and Hannah to help. But I guess they did okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, when I went upstairs to see how Ben and Troy were doing, Ben had toilet paper stuffed up his nose and Troy was standing by the toilet (which was heaped full with toilet paper) and he still had his socks on. I told Ben to go get the paper towels off the dishwasher while I put Troy into the tub. Ben ended up finishing the cookies by the way but they still turned out yummy even though Troy said he didn't like them.

    ReplyDelete