Friday, September 14, 2007

Letting Go

Watching my children grow up has been an incredible experience. There have been times of joy and wonder, and times of heartbreak and utter frustration. I treasure the memory of each new birth and smile when I recall a house full of noisy children. I've learned so much from my kids, probably far more than I could ever imagine. Oh, I haven't forgotten feeling buried under piles of dirty dishes, mountains of laundry or being so exhausted that I literally cried. There were times when I longed to escape the daily chaos and then there were the wonderful, crazy moments that I wouldn't trade for all the world. We've laughed together, played together, and made a lifetime of great memories.
In my life's treasure box are seven priceless gems. I know they aren't mine to keep. Someday I have to let them go. We have already watched two of our seven children get married and move out on their own. Eight years ago we sent out oldest off to college and were blessed to have him return home afterward to live and work. Now we are letting him go as he sets off for a new life in a faraway place. Letting go is hard. Sometimes I feel the sting that comes with it, but I know this day must come, and as my son grows with the experience, so will I.

(In case you're curious... top photo- Bethany, Jim, David
bottom photo- Josiah, Nathan, Ben and Hannah)

9 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed seeing my children grow so far too. Hopefully they'll stay close by when they're grown. I'm sad to see Jim go too, but maybe he just needs to go for a little while and then he'll come back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carl and I know the pain of letting children go and make their way in the world. Now is the time for the deep breathing exercises! Deep breaths and a lot of prayers. I feel for you, I truly do. I can't make it better but I will pray for safety and happiness for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The good thing is that there are planes, trains, and automobiles! And telephone, the internet...keeping in touch has never been easier. Back a hundred years ago or more...if he had moved away seeing them again was much more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your link doesn't work. You have one too many "http//:s". Go in and fix it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Priscilla, it's done. And yes, I am thankful for the many ways we will be able to keep in touch.

    Thank you, Gmj, I appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :( I don't know what I'll do if/when that time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful children, beautiful memories. I've seen my go, some have been recycled and move back for a while. Now all married and been out of the nest for some time..Letting go is one of parentings hardest jobs. Only their bodies leave...You've got their hearts!
    Love you posts, and your sensivtity to God and life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are really sweet pictures. Maybe you can have Kristina check up on Jim from time to time... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm gonna/have cried, but I know we'll all be okay. I think we might have to go and visit once in a while.

    ReplyDelete