Monday, October 01, 2007

Mitty Ann

Our trip to Angelica took us to the Until the Day Dawn Cemetery where we found the grave of Mitty Ann Shafer. She was just 22 years old when she died on Christmas of 1862. She left behind a two-year old daughter, Hattie, and a four month old son, my great grandfather, Joseph Edson Shafer. She died so young. It made me wonder who she was and what she was like. Was she anything like her son who played the harmonica and loved to work in his garden? Did she like to smile? What color was her hair? Did she know Jesus? Her parents, David and Amy Jennings, eventually petitioned the court for custody of their daughter's two young children. I wonder what they were like?

5 comments:

  1. Now why did her parents want to take the children away from their father? I can't remember. And it kinda makes me think...what kind of legacy will I leave behind? What will be known about me by my children, grand children, and great grandchildren after I die? Hopefully it will be my love for Jesus and desire to live for him, and not that I spoke without thinking a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that, Rachel. Good thoughts.

    Martha, do you know what she died from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rumor has it that he was not a good father to them evidently. Maybe we will never know why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rumor also was that their stepmother was unkind. In any case they had a pair of grandparents who cared enough to take them in.

    No, Heather, I don't know what she died of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope she was a Christian. 22 is so young.


    I'm with you Rachel - I hope my offspring remember firstly my love of Jesus....and I hope they are all Christians...my children, children's children and all the generations after that, until Jesus returns.

    ReplyDelete