Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Looking for a Handout

It was a great day for a hike outside so Bethany, Shelly and Jessi, and Rachel joined us for a walk in the woods. Years ago I was told that the little chickadees on the Bird Song Trail at Mendon Ponds will eat seeds out of your hand but I had never tried it. How cool to have such a tiny bird land on my fingers, take a seed and fly away! Hannah and Jessi had great fun feeding the birds and Troy took a turn at it too. Once he turned his hand over, dumped the seed into my hand and said, "It's too scary." What a funny little guy, afraid of a chickadee!

The birds weren't the only hungry creatures in the woods. There were plenty of squirrels and chipmunks scurrying about looking for something good to eat. They all seem to like sunflower seeds. The chipmunks move so fast and are so small that they almost look like leaves blowing across the trail. They stuffed their little cheeks with seeds and then went running off through the underbrush.

Ben ventured on ahead of us and spotted some deer hiding in the trees but by the time the rest of our somewhat noisy group caught up, the deer were nowhere to be seen.

11 comments:

  1. I knew you'd beat me to it. :) I haven't even come close to finishing.... Just looked at a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't stand letting them get cold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, you should see my movie! It's really cute. Too bad I tipped it over, now I don't know how to rotate it back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sounds like you are liking your new camera, or is't a CAMERA like Shelly's? I sure appreciate the pictures you are taking with it. Thanks for sharing your good time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely pictures. Everyone of them breathtaking! That little bird how sweet was that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could've gone for a hike with you. It looks like you had so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you all had fun. It was a nice day for it. I got my sewing project done so I feel a weight lifted off...so it was worth staying home (I think)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw Priscilla - you missed out! I was tempted to stay home too cuz it was so chilly this morning and of course I always have a million and one things that need to get done... but somehow I knew I'd regret it if I didn't go!! Anywayz... I hope you make it the next time around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like so much fun--feeding the birds right from your hand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great walk you had!
    That is really so cool that the bird ate from your hand!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos are great! I bet you love having a camera again. I love all the animal shots you use. I can't believe that bird would eat from your hands. How cool for the kids!

    ReplyDelete