Friday, September 21, 2007

Just Thinking

It's hard to see the dirt on my own face.

Wednesday night we taught the kids class at church. There were three boys; one 10 year old and two first graders. Part of the lesson was about the Day of Atonement and part revolved around giving to people who are in need. We made small boxes in which each child could place money for the poor. James and I won't be there to see what goes into the boxes and neither will the boxes come back for us to distribute the money. This was just to encourage the children to give on their own or at least think about it. I was a little bit taken back by how reluctant these particular kids were to possibly go without a snack at the church cafe or sacrifice some of their own money in order to give a small gift to someone less fortunate than themselves... but am I willing?

I have often prayed that the Lord would use me, my money, my home, my kids... but when it comes down to making the sacrifice, well, that's the hard part. It's easy to talk about giving... it's even possible to give reluctantly... but giving from a pure heart? Not so easy. Yes, there's dirt on my face too. If I would just take the time to look in the mirror maybe I could get it cleaned off.

6 comments:

  1. Good thoughts, Martha! I am willing to give what comes easy, but when it comes to "my snack", will I be willing to give that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is very hard to commit to a personal sacrifice. I think letting go of our children to the ways of the world is one of the hardest to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post, thanks for making me think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martha: You should be writing Sunday Posts!! This was touching and inspirational! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those little banks remind me of the buddy barrels!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good thoughts. There's lots of dirt on my face!!!

    ReplyDelete