Monday, January 22, 2024

The Metamorphosis

I've been visiting a new church. The tangible example of change (aka "repentance") in yesterday's message was the caterpillar who is reduced to mush inside the chrysalis. (I do believe I've already survived the mush stage...) In the case of the caterpillar, once the metamorphosis is complete and the butterfly emerges from the chrysalis, there is no going back. There is no more caterpillar. The caterpillar is gone. It is, in other words, dead. At least dead to being a caterpillar. It was never meant remain a caterpillar, but to die to it's original life in order to gain something new. The to butterfly was never intended to remain on the ground. It was destined for the sky.

The church I'm visiting is different from any of the churches I've been to in the past, and yet much the same as well. I am appreciative of fresh perspectives, new insight, and renewed hope. Holding onto faith has been difficult the past eight years, and it is in this vein that I am ever so grateful for a God who holds His children when we are not strong enough to hold on ourselves. (Perhaps it is true that we are never strong enough... ) I am hopeful that I will soon read scripture without the tinted glasses that clouded my vision for so long, and that it will be, maybe for the first time, unimaginably clear. The stories will not be new, but perhaps seen with new eyes and deeper meaning. 

The butterfly can't go back and I can't go back either. I was meant for something more.

I hope you don't mind metaphors, to go along with the metamorphosis taking place in me. I feel a little bit like a Methuselah generation butterfly because I felt like mush forever. (I'm sure they spend at least a week or two longer inside their chrysalis because I had one hanging on my swing set for a little over three weeks once. here and here) My wings might not be completely dry but I haven't dropped to the floor yet either. Here's hoping my wings are straight and strong.

6 comments:

  1. I like your post. The caterpillar was not meant to remain a caterpillar forever, and the earth is not our permanent home. Change is always happening and I enjoy learning in church about joy to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning that change doesn't necessarily come all at once and sometimes it is almost invisible at first, like the caterpillar disappearing into the chrysalis. Sometimes we see the change best when we turn around and see how far we've come.

      Delete
  2. Martha, you have given me goose bumps this morning. What a beautiful and perfect metaphor of your life and all of our lives. We aren't meant to stay the same forever. So happy you have found a new church to give you Hope. My devotion reading this morning was along the same vein as your post.
    Hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an interesting message, Sue. Perfect for everything that has transpired and for all that is still to come. I still love when life experiences dovetail with messages from above.
      Hugs to you too!

      Delete
  3. Martha your post is beautiful 🥰 And we have strength we don’t even know we possess until we have to use it and you have discovered this. You have come a long way in your journey and really life is a journey, with hills and valleys that can be trying or they can be beautiful ☺️ Keep going on that journey girl!!

    Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn. I honestly hope my journey will encourage a weak and weary fellow traveler. The road can be long and desolate. I'm am grateful to those of you who have come alongside me on mine.
      Thank you, thank you!

      Delete