Monday, January 15, 2024

Windows to the Soul

It was just an old family album full of photographs from days long gone and I suppose everyone has a few gawky childhood photos that they would rather not remember. My worst school picture was the one taken in the seventh grade when I was five months shy of my thirteenth birthday. A blemished complexion, long, greasy hair, and the nervous expression of a child entering junior high and puberty at the same time. Perhaps somewhere along the way my mother complied with my wishes to destroy the pictures because I did not run across them last night. Instead I ran across others.

Two high school photos; one taken in the fall of 1979 when I was a sophomore, and the next the following autumn, early in my junior year. It isn't as though I didn't see the swollen eyes previous to last evening. They would have been quite literally impossible to miss, yet last night the contrast between the two images struck me in a new way. I never did drugs in high school. I didn't smoke or drink, yet there in the second photo, all over my face, is pain. Deep, searing, mental and emotional pain... One picture full of hope and expectation, the next apprehension and despair. The hopes and dreams I'd carried for the previous seven years had been dashed to pieces and destroyed forever. I wasn't pregnant yet, but it wouldn't be long. I was caught in the trap of feeling no longer worthy of the one I'd loved since childhood (Joey), desperate to hold onto the one with whom I'd lost my virginity (James), and barely more than a child.

It was the eyes that caught my attention last night. These are the eyes I struggle with today, the upper lids swollen and droopy, hanging like curtains. Thirty years ago allergy injections relieved the swelling and my eyes opened up again, allowing others to once again see into my soul, but time and tears have rendered them perpetually puffy and me searching for a way to relieve the swelling. I'm trying a saline nasal spray along with a nasal steroid in hopes of clearing passages and reducing swelling. I have an appointment for a routine eye exam in another week. I know repressed (or is it suppressed?) emotions can wreak havoc on our bodies, leaving us susceptible to unexplainable chronic pain and disease, but can it also affect our eyes?

5 comments:

  1. It's always something especially as we age. I hated my high school photos...
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have a senior picture and I wasn't thrilled with the one from 9th grade, but I do like the one from my sophomore year of high school.

      Delete
  2. "They" say the the eyes are the windows to the soul. I do see so much pain and stress in that second photo.
    I do hope that your dr. appt. will help you and the swelling will finally be relieved.
    Thanks for your openness and sharing of your life.
    It's so good to be Blog friends.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All these years I've overlooked what is blatantly obvious. There is a huge shift from the first photograph to the next. It literally hurts my heart.
      I'm hoping there is a solution that does not include surgery. I am also hoping there is a way to cry without my eyes being swollen for days. LOL! Sometimes a good cry is so cathartic!
      To be clear, I loved James too, deeply and completely, even though my heart was deeply wounded.

      Delete
  3. Life in pictures, most of the time we just don't see it. I see you, and see someone I love!

    ReplyDelete