Wednesday, May 26, 2021

A Little Bit of This Week

 I'm growing and learning every day. Growing can be painful. As much as I don't like pain, it is an incredible motivator.

I woke up 45 minutes late this morning and had no time for my daily shower. I washed as quickly as I could and ran out the door without shampooing my hair. I had two appointments after work with no time to come home in between, or so I thought. My duties were over 15 minutes early, giving me just enough time to run home and wash my hair before heading out.

Chiropractor. He gives me my weekly hug along with a spinal adjustment. Today I asked him if feet make the back hurt or the back makes the feet hurt. My ankles have been bothering me since I came home from the beach... He asked a few questions, scoffed at my flip flops, and gave me a card for a pedorthist. "You won't call. I can tell," he said. Pish! I don't like sore feet. Maybe I'll call them tomorrow.

Therapist. It was a good talk. He asks hard questions and makes me think. He suggests doing things that go against what I naturally tend to do. He helps me look inside to see where my thoughts need to change. He encourages me to let others own their own feelings, and not to take on what isn't mine to carry. This is hard because I naturally carry the hurts, emotions, and responses of others. It doesn't mean I should lose all empathy, but it does mean I need to let go of what isn't mine. Things I learned in CoDA.

On Monday evening I found myself home alone. The lake has been stinky with the yearly die-off of small fish, and so I decided to take my camera and go to another place I love. I headed for the woods. It was a lovely evening, the smell of honeysuckle heavy in the air. I walked a familiar trail and took pictures as I went. Along the way a few bikes passed, and a man and woman walked together. I was not completely alone. My prize photo opportunity was a Pileated Woodpecker finding dinner in a downed log. It was quite fabulous!


4 comments:

  1. Love your fabulous photo of the woodpecker. He is really huge. I'm glad you took a walk in the woods and that your appointments were so successful.
    You sound so good and I love the progress being made. God is so good.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woodpecker was the to my prayer to photograph just one bird. I never expected to find such a prize! I wonder if it is the same one I saw in that area a year ago?

      These appointments went especially well. I called the Foot Performance Center today and they take walk-ins for a free evaluation so I will do that one evening after work next week.

      Progress. That's my name. Who would have thought? (https://justseven.blogspot.com/2014/08/progress.html)
      :0)

      Delete
  2. You find the best shots...And in the woods. How lovely. Living in So.CA and in a complex, I do envy you the walks on the beach, and in the woods. I think I would live with bad feet to have that pleasure. Good News...I think they are going to open the pool after a year and a half of being closed!! I feet will like that.
    Glad you are still growing and learning! Love and Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do hope they open your pool! Just to be able to slip into the cool water on a hot, summer day would be so lovely!

      Yes, I am blessed with the walks in the woods and along the beach. The gift of these opportunities is not lost on me. And God is so good to give me so many photo opportunities as well. There is beauty all around if only we are willing to see.
      :0)

      Delete